Chapter 17- The Timid Ones

Atlas

A few minutes earlier

It was like a surreal dream. I remember holding our drinks in my hands and I went back to find Astrid missing. I frowned and said, "Astrid?" No response. I yelled, "Astrid!" She still didn't answer. I rushed back to the small bar and hurriedly placed our drinks onto the table then I started pacing around the ball room. My heart was beating rapidly. Then I heard a male's voice and then a young woman's voice I knew all too well by then. I turned another corner and followed the voices. I saw them then. Astrid was against a wall, a older man's hands on her waist, on her legs and I had heard the snatch of the fabric of her dress. Then I felt this wild kind of outrage inside of my chest. I was ireful in that moment. In that moment, I didn't recognize myself. It's like something just clicked inside of me. Something clicked inside of me but it didn't feel wrong. It felt like it was instinct and powerful. It happened in a fast motion. I had grabbed ahold of the man by his throat and had him against the wall that Astrid had been against herself and had said, my voice inhumane and unknown to myself, "If I see you put your filthy hands on her again, I will kill you. And I can promise you it won't be pretty." I remember staring darkly and deep into the man's eyes, saying, "Now, I want you to get your drunk self away from her and if I ever see you with her again, I will kill you.Piece by piece. And you could beg for my forgiveness and I would never forgive you." I continued my long list of threats for this disgusting man who had the audacity to touch my woman. My girl. I said, "If you ever touch her ever ever again I swear on my life I will kill you. And I'll make you feel true agony." Then I had told the guy to leave and he did after pleading he was "sorry" to me a million times. I desperately wanted to kill him. But I didn't because the current location I was at would've killed me if I did. I'm not even a part of the Other Siders. I'm a outsider.
~
I hold Astrid in my arms gently. I escort her to the single bathroom instead of the public women's bathroom so I can check her without anyone else present. I turn the light on in the bathroom. It's so much brighter than out there. I lock the door behind us. I set her down on the top of the toilet seat. I dont say anything but I just kneel down beside her and place her leg carefully on my kneeled out leg. We don't know what to say. I don't know what to say. Finally after I can't stand the silence any longer, I say, my voice raw, "I'm so sorry, baby. I shouldn't have left you alone there. It's my fault." Astrid places her hand on top of the one I have against her exposed thigh. Astrid says, her voice full of emotion, "Atlas. It isn't your fault. Please don't think it is.." I reply, "Well, it kind of is- Astrid looks me in the eyes and suddenly the words I was about to say are forgotten about in my mouth, "Atlas. Please." I put a small bandage around her right thigh. Astrid says, leaning up to try and stand, "I should go." I say, "Astrid. Please don't go-" She continues to walk over to the bathroom door. I can't let her go yet. I go to the door and push my back against the door, blocking her exit, "Astrid-" Astrid says to me, "Let me out, Atlas." I still stand in the way of her exit. Astrid says, "Move or I will tell my mother that I never want to see you again. You know I will, Atlas." She moves my crossed arms and try's to guide me away from the door. I let her. I say, "You wouldn't-" I'm a bit upset now, "After everything we've been through-" Astrid says, "I would." And with that, she opens the door and this time, though it pains me, I let her go back into the crowd of people.