Chapter 16- Beg for Mercy

Astrid

Atlas and I drown ourselves in the crowds, the music loudening every second. I hold a drink in my hand, the glass cold against my palm. People have their hands up in the air. People all around us are either drinking, dancing, or kissing. We're doing something in between the three. I sip the drink as casually as possible. I'm not usually the drinking type. I feel Atlas's hand move from my waist, "I'm going to go get another drink." He says, in a silly childish voice, "Would you like one, my princess?" I reply back, "I'm okay for now." Atlas says, frowning his lip into a childish pouting face, "You are no fun." I stick my tongue out at him as he disappears into the crowd.

I continue to sip on my drink. Suddenly, I feel a sharp tug against my waist. I start to say, "Atlas-?" Arms squeeze tighter around my waist, drawing me closer. It isn't Atlas. I know it isn't. And I don't feel safe. I have nothing to defend myself with either. I didn't feel the need to bring anything. Stupid stupid me. God knows what this person wants from me. The person grabs my arm roughly and practically drags me around a corner of the ballroom.

I say, "What are you-" He interrupts me, "Shhh... darling..... just...relax...." I try to escape his grasp but he is stronger than I anticipated. The man pushes me against the corner of the wall, "Let me feel you." He draws his fingers down my face and then he traces the curve of my hips, then places both of his hands around the wall, the back of my head against the wall. He has dark eyes, the start of facial hair against his chin, his dark eyes burying themselves in mine. He leans in and pressed his lips to my lips. I am disgusted. His lips taste of strong drugs and smoke. He's definitely a drug addict.

I bit my lip as hard as I can so he can't kiss my lips. His lips may have been the most disgusting lips I've ever kissed. The man kisses my neck, I gasp aloud,"Stop-"I try to kick at him but he grabs ahold of my leg and starts rubbing it and then he grasps a handful of my dress and tears my dress from my left leg up to my thigh. I gasp, "What the he-" Then, I hear a scream. And it wasn't mine. I gasp as I see Atlas. He has the man by the throat against the wall I was just pushed against. Atlas says, his voice deadly, cold as ice, "If I see you put your filthy hands on her again I will kill you. And I can promise you it will not be pretty."

He stares a dark stare at the man, "Now I want you to get your drunk self away from her and if I ever see you with her again I will kill you. Piece by piece. And you could beg for my forgiveness and I would never forgive you. Atlas smiles darkly, " If you ever touch her ever ever again I swear on my life I will kill you. And I'll make you feel true agony." The man pleads, "I'm sorry-" Atlas says, "Go." The man leaves us. Atlas places his hands on my arms ever so carefully, so gently, nothing like the man who was just here a few seconds ago. He rubs my arms, "God- Astrid- I'm so sorry." I say quietly like it's hard to speak now, "it's okay-" "No it's not-" I reply, "It's fine- really- I'm fine."

I aim for a small smile. He doesn't take it. His voice is full of seriousness as he says my name, "Astrid." "I told you I'm-" Atlas says, "You aren't fine. Stop trying to hide it from me, Ash. I know you aren't. I can hear it in your voice." Atlas looks me up and down, "Wait. I'm going to check you. Is that okay?" I am about to say I'm fine again but he clearly knows I'm not at this point so I say, "Yea. Yea that's okay." Atlas says, "It's too loud in here. Come on." I say, "Wait- where are we going?" Atlas looks at the crowd, then nods towards the bathroom, "Bathroom." I try taking a step to walk and my left leg stings. I stop trying to walk. Atlas notices that I stopped, "What's wrong?" I grimace, "It's-it's nothing." Atlas says, "I don't believe you." He says, "I'm gonna carry you, okay?" I start to say, "Atlas- you don't need to-" He wraps his arms around my legs gingerly and scoops me up and walks to the bathroom.

Author's Note:
I wrote most of this when I was in my fourth block class and I loved it. This is definitely another one of my favorite chapters to write. It was another one of the hardest too though because I wanted to make it really good and worthy. I think it is but I hope you guys liked it as much as I did though :)🫶✨🥀