Chapter 5 - Cadian and Rose

(Third Person POV)

"As you know, the Midgar Royal Spellsword Academy values intelligence and strength in absolute. As such, your grades are worthless if you can't even duel with the sword properly. As such, we will be performing practical evaluations to see where you rank in terms of skill and magic potential." An instructor said to the first years in the coliseum, and among those students were Cadian and Rose at the back. "You will be ranked according to your performance in the practicals later. And the practicals will be in sparring with each other using practice swords. There is no restriction in using magic, so if you are able to incorporate magic during the spar, then you'll be graded accordingly in that field as well. Swordplay and Magic Potential will be ranked with letters. S being the highest and F being inept. I and another instructor will be observing the spars as we grade you accordingly. We will call out your names, and the two names called will be sparring with each other. There are no winners or losers here for this is merely an evaluation. Now without delaying any further, clear out the stage! We'll begin shortly."

The first years of the different classes and sections promptly followed suit, all feeling tense and shook from the upcoming challenge. Some could feel their hearts beating out of their chests, all stemming from the unknown information about their opponent and their skills. 

Unbeknownst to them, the battle has already begun, a battle of mental fortitude. And those who panicked are already disadvantaged in the next stage which is the spars. And only those who either felt calm or excited will be the ones having the upper hand. Only those who have the skills and grit to back up their emotions welled up are worthy to excel.

"Sparring huh? What a pain." Cadian sighed.

"What makes you say that? I think it's actually a good way to evaluate ourselves." Rose rebutted. "Battle is the best way to draw out one's true strength and skill. Only in the heat of the moment will one show their best."

"I get what you mean, but really? It's really not worth the effort if I go all out on the first day for a grade. I don't want to show off."

"Show off? Are you really that proud of your skills in swordplay?" Rose scoffed. "You seem to be underestimating everyone here. It could lead to your downfall."

Rose surmised that Cadian was confident. She could speak such a remark as she knew that she was good at swordplay, not to mention that her magic potential for a first-year was amazing. Despite the courteousness, she couldn't hold back the urge to put him in his place.

Rose was sure she was strong, and she hopes to enlighten Cadian somehow that his attitude was uncouth for a spellsword.

"I will say this though, I just hope that we don't get called together," Rose smirked. "I wouldn't want to hurt you too badly-"

"Oh?" Cadian looked straight at her in the eyes. "I wouldn't finish that sentence if I were you... Rose."

A really disturbing chill coursed down her spine as Cadian finished his words, it was as if her soul was being tampered with and crushed. His eyes flashed a twisted gaze upon her, as a bead of sweat slid down the side of her face.

"Don't you come and make me put some effort now," Cadian smirked as well. "Fine, just this once, I'll go all out. I'll show you what I can do, and show you why I don't like putting in the effort."

"Hm, I'll play along for now. Let's see who's stronger." Although she hesitated a bit, Rose shared the sentiment.

Feeling the determination in her chest, she hopefully waits as the sparring proceeds as planned.