1.31

•••

•••

1 day since accident

The next morning, Mark had entered Lauras room to change the wrappings on her burns, switching place with Dr. Bailey. The resident had sat by Lauras side the entire night, taking on the job of waking her up routinely because of her concussion, and comforting her through her nightmares.

While he sat there, each of the interns had come in to see Laura when they arrived at work. Cristina had been first, then Alex, and then George and Izzie who arrived together. Laura was asleep through all of this. She was under a heavy dose of medication and she hadn't slept well the night before, causing her to be pretty knocked out. 

His task was interrupted once again when the door opened, and three people stepped in. Mark didn't recognize any of them.

"Oh, sweetheart," the woman began crying when she saw Laura, and Mark quickly assumed that this was her family.

Her mother, who Mark knew was named Diane, ran to her daughters side and began stroking her hair, face and arms, as if needing to reassure herself that Laura was still there, that she hadn't left them. Mark understood that, he'd done the same by focusing in on the steady beeping coming from the heart monitor. 

Diane touching her had also woken up Laura and when she saw her family, she couldn't help but begin crying as well, falling forwards into her mothers embrace.

Mark stepped back, stopping his work to give the family a moment. His chest tightened when he saw how small and broken Laura looked at that moment, almost like a wounded bird with a broken wing, as she clung to her mom. So unlike her usual demeanor. 

Diane shushed her gently, stroking the back of her head carefully, before the two let go of each other. She took Lauras face in her hands and wiped her tears. "We're here now, baby. Everything's gonna be okay."

Lauras father, William, took his wife's place and gave Laura a warm hug, pressing a kiss to her temple. He was holding everything together. William Allen was a man who loved and prided himself on his family. When one of them was hurting - especially one of his children - it hurt him too. When either of them struggled, he made sure they knew that he was always there for them. But nothing could've prepared him for receiving the phone call that Laura had been in an accident, and she could be facing permanent hearing loss.

Nick, Lauras brother, was next. Neither sibling said anything, just hugged each other as tightly as they could in Lauras current condition. Nicks fingers clutched the hospital gown she was wearing, and he buried his face against his little sisters shoulder, letting his tears fall. 

William had wrapped a supportive arm around Dianes shoulders, and finally turned his attention towards Mark.

"Are you her doctor?"

"One of them," Mark nodded and stepped forward to shake his hand. As much as he cared about Laura, he was her doctor and had to act as such now that her family was there. His own emotions being pushed to the side. "Dr. Mark Sloan, head of plastics."