1.18

Season 2, Episode 27

Losing My Religion

•••

"I cut the LVAD wire," Izzie confessed as the interns stood lined up in the chiefs office.

"Actually..." Meredith spoke up. "I cut the LVAD wire."

"No, I did it," George said next. "I'm the one who cut the wire."

He nudged Cristina. "Fine. I cut the LVAD wire."

Laura was next. They were doing a sort of Spartacus thing and she wasn't happy about it. 

"I'm not the one who cut it," she said easily. What happened, happened. Izzie had cut the wire and there was no reason Laura should put her own career more on the line than she already had.

"Yeah, I didn't do anything. I'm totally innocent," Alex said quickly after her and the others turned to the two in anger.

"That's not the point," Cristina hissed.

"We made an agreement," George said loudly.

When everyone began arguing at once the chief finally interrupted.

"People!" They shut up and turned to him. "I know who did this, so you might as well come clean." He leaned forwards. "I know."

"With all due respect, sir," George said. "If you knew, you wouldn't be asking us."

"I did what I--" Izzie began, but Meredith nudged her and spoke up.

"You have your suspicions. But you don't actually know."

"Not for sure," Cristina agreed.

"And you can't do anything to any of us without proof, sir," George finished.

The chief stood up and spoke angrily. "Well, one of you compromised a patients life. One of you stole an organ. One of you jeopardized the integrity of this hospital and of UNOS. Now you tell me, and you tell me right now!" When no one spoke, he stood up straight. "All right, fine."

When he'd sat down, and looked at his papers, the interns assumed he was done, so they began leaving. But before they reached the door, he spoke up again.

"No surgeries."

"Sir?" Cristina asked as they all looked at him in shock.

"No one scrubs in, no one watches from the gallery. No one so much as goes near the OR floor. Until someone confesses, the six of you will share a single patient, Camille Travis. Whatever she wants, the six of you will provide it. Now get the hell out of my sight."

•••

They were walking down the stairs towards the nurses station. 

"I will go back and I will tell him it was me," Izzie said.