1.11

Season 2, Episode 11

Owner Of A Lonely Heart

•••

It was the end of a very long day. The quints had been delivered and the ones who needed it had had surgery.

Meredith, Cristina, Izzie, George and Laura were sat monitoring one premie quint each in the Isolette.

"I have the best quint," George turned to them. "Lucy. She just smiled at me."

"She's nine hours old, George," Izzie told him with a small laugh.

"I'm sayin' there are five babies here, and clearly, mine is the advanced one."

"Oh, please," Laura scoffed, sitting by Kate.

"Charlotte's smart," Meredith pointed out. "She's got wrinkles on her forehead, very serious."

"Okay, 'A', this is not a competition," Izzie began. "And 'B', my quint kicks your quints' asses. Emilys strong. She won't let go of my finger."

Cristina spoke up. "Uh, hey, Julie has her organs on the outside of her body, and she's still alive, thank you."

"Kate's the best one," Laura stated as Alex walked in.

"Izzie," he looked at her.

"Leave."

"Can we please just talk?"

She scoffed. "You're too busy screwing nurses to talk. Just get out."

Alex sighed and looked at Laura. "Can you make sure that Kates vitals remain stable?"

"I will," she nodded.

"He is unbelievable," Izzie muttered after he'd walked out. "I am so glad I never slept with him. Which is his loss, because I'm really good in bed. Mind blowing..." she bragged. "Mind blowingly good in bed."

"Are you trying to seduce us?" Cristina wondered.

"And then he sleeps with Olivia instead of me," she shook her head. "Olivia."

George looked at her in offense. "Hey, I slept with Olivia."

"Yeah? Well, then you both have bad taste."

"And you both got syphilis," Laura added slyly.

George stood up "You know, you can't say that you weren't warned. Alex has always been Alex."

"You dodged a bullet, Iz," Meredith told her. "You're better off without him."

"Why are you even surprised?" Cristina asked. "You sleep with a snake, you get bit."

Laura opted not to weigh in on this part of the conversation. She in no way condemned what Alex had done, but she also knew that he genuinely did like Izzie and felt bad about what happened. He knew he'd messed up and had only done it as a way of acting out and letting off some steam after dooming his patient and failing his intern exam. It wasn't an excuse, just the facts.