1.5

Season 1, Episode 8

Save Me

•••

Laura was on Baileys service with Izzie, currently in surgery with their pregnant cancer patient.

"I'm removing the lump now," Bailey told them.

"Someone said you guys have a psychic running around here. Is that true?" their patient asked.

"I did not even hear you say that."

"Predicted someone would die on the fourth floor."

"ICU's on the fourth floor, people die all the time," Izzie told her, not believing in the psychic.

"Maybe not the most comforting thing to say to a patient, Iz," Laura looked at her pointedly.

"Okay. We're finishing up here, Mrs. Glass. We'll take this down to path and get the results of the frozen-section biopsy, and see you in a few hours," Bailey said as she finished up.

"Seriously, the guy is just playing mind games," Izzie continued. "I can see further into the future than he can."

"Prove it," Laura dared teasingly

Before Izzie could respond, Bailey frowned at her. "Why do you even care about this, Stevens?"

"I don't," she shook her head.

•••

Cristina and Izzie had switched cases after Cristina had had enough of the psychic, and the three doctors were in the patients room, informing the couple of their options.

"Don't we have treatment options?" Mr. Glass asked. "I mean, aren't there always alternatives?"

"With this stage of invasive carcinoma, surgery, chemo, radiation, and drug therapy are you only options."

"Can I wait until the end of my pregnancy?" Mrs. Glass asked.

"The pregnancy hormones will likely speed the growth of the cancer," Laura said, feeling sympathetic at the same time as trying her best not to get too emotionally involved.

"And the baby?" Mr. Glass asked hesitantly, fearing the answer.

"None of these courses of treatment will allow the baby to survive," Cristina said quickly and unsympathetically.

Bailey looked down in slight frustration at the interns cold approach. "Mr. and Mrs. Glass, I understand how difficult this is."

Mrs. Glass held up a hand to stop her. "No disrespect, but like hell you do."

"You're going to have to make a decision as to how you want to proceed."

"You mean my baby's life or my own?"