1.19

Season 3, Episode 1

Time Has Come Today

•••

"Izzie. Izzie. Come on," Alex called through the closed door. He, Laura and Cristina had come over early the next morning because the blonde was refusing to open the door and come out. 

George sighed. "Okay. She's been in there all night. We have to do something."

"Yeah."

"Yeah," Cristina and Laura agreed as well, and all four looked over at Meredith.

"Why are you all looking at me?"

"This is familiar territory to you," Cristina said as if it was obvious.

"There is nothing familiar about this. Unfamiliar. Denny died. The man she loves died."

"Yeah, but you're all dark and twisty inside."

"That's true," Laura nodded.

"Dark and twisty?" Meredith frowned.

"The mother with the Alzheimers thing, and the father you don't talk to," Cristina explained.

"And the tequila thing," Alex continued. "And the inappropriate med thing."

"You are dark and twisty inside and now Izzie is dark and twisty inside," George finished.

"So all of a sudden I'm the president of People With Crappy Lives?" Meredith hissed.

"Seriously, we have to do something," George repeated himself from earlier. "Someone has to go in there."

•••

After George had spoken to Izzie, Laura went in. She laid down on her back on the floor next to the blonde and rested her hands on her stomach.

It was silent for a few beats and Laura sighed heavily, not knowing what to say or how to behave. It felt awkward and uncomfortable. She'd been the angriest and most against Izzie after what had happened and had argued with her more than once. Now Denny was dead and Izzie was sad. Laura didn't know how to act around her after all that.

"Are you still mad at me?" Izzies quiet whisper brought her back to reality.

She sighed again. "No... No, I'm not mad." She frowned slightly. "Can't really be mad at the girl with a dead fiancé," she chuckled slightly.

Izzie let out a weak chuckle as well. "No, you're not that cold." They were silent again, until Izzie said, "I am sorry for bringing everyone into that, you know."

"I know," Laura reached over and took her hand. "I'm not gonna lie and say that I've completely forgiven you, but you're my friend and you're hurting right now. So, I'm here. Whatever you need, I'm here."