1.28

Season 3, Episode 14

Wishin' and Hopin'

•••

Laura stood with Bailey and Izzie in front of the brand new free clinic. All their hard work had finally paid off and today was the day they were opening the doors.

Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic

"Eight days. Eight million dollars," Izzie grinned.

"And we're open for business," Bailey smiled.

"This is gonna be great," Laura said confidently. 

•••

"Hey, welcome to the Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic," Bailey strolled over the the interns. They were all there except for Meredith and George. "Barring any surgical emergencies, you will be working here today."

Cristina looked at the row of empty beds and snarkily asked, "Working on what?"

"Right now, Olivia will be familiarizing you with the protocol for the flu vaccine," Bailey shot back sassily.

Izzie noticed that Alex had picked up something from the shelf. "Oh, no, no, no," she stammered. "Don't touch that." He put it back and held up his hands in defense. "That was 79 dollars."

Laura chuckled at Alex and Cristinas expressions before she and Izzie walked over to Bailey by the counter.

"Where is everybody?" Izzie asked anxiously.

"Grey will be late. O'Malley should be back from vacation..," Bailey said and Izzie interrupted her.

"No, no, the patients. The underserved, uninspired population that we're supposed to be helping?"

"Relax," Laura told her. "This isn't the opening of a Chanel store, you know? We won't have people lined up outside, waiting to get in. It's the first day and we opened less that an hour ago. Give it some time."

Bailey nodded. "The underserved, uninsured will come. You'll see, just watch the door. They will come through it."

"I can't wait for the first patient," Izzie grinned excitedly. "It's gonna be amazing. It's gonna be amazing what Denny's money can do, right?"

Laura looked at her with wide eyes. "Your enthusiasm scares me."

Bailey lay a hand on Izzies, stopping her fingers from tapping. "Just watch the door, Stevens."

Laura chuckled when she saw Izzie doing just that, staring intently at the door, barely even blinking, as if mentally urging it to open.

She jumped when the door swung open, wondering if Izzies mind control actually worked, but groaned when she saw it was Mark and the Chief.