Chapter 4: 'I'm Never The One'

Start from the beginning

"She took my breath away, Elena, she's a dead ringer for Kathrine. Is it working, Stefan? Being around her, being in her world? Does it make you feel alive?"

"She's not Kathrine."

"Well, let's hope not. We both know how that ended. Tell me something, when's the last time you had something stronger than a squirrel?"

"I know what you're doing, Damon. It's not gonna work."

"Yeah? Come on. Don't you carve a little?"

He thumps Stefan on the head.

"Stop it."

"Let's do it," thump, "Together, I saw a couple of girls out there," thump, "Or let's just cut to the chase," thump, "Let's just go straight for Elena."

"Stop it!" He tries to push the instigating brother away with a futile shove, which only makes him invade his personal space further.

"Imagine what her blood tastes like!"

Stefan's face transforms into its true self. A deprived vampire with veins bulging out from beneath his eye sockets and protruding vangs that are desperate for satisfaction.

"I can."

"I said stop!"

The younger sibling, growling with anger, throws himself at his brother. Sending them both through a window, leaving shattered glass and unattached wooden planks in their wake. Stefan hits the pavement and lands on his front. The piercing fractured pieces from his sneak attack lie beneath him, making cuts that have already started to heal. He stands up, dusting the fragments of damage off his jeans as his eyes meet an empty space.

"I was impressed." Damon's voice rings suddenly from behind him, his form leaning against a freshly snipped shrub, "I give it a six. Missing style, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very good with the whole face," He dramatically imitates Stefan's growl, "-thing. It was good."

"You know," The brother sniffs, recovering from his fall, "-it's all fun and games, Damon, huh? But wherever you go, people die."

"That's a given."

"Not here, I won't allow it."

"I take that as an invitation."

"Damon, please. After all these years, can't we just give it a rest?" He staggers tiresomely.

"I promised you an eternity of misery," His second best kept vow, "So I'm just trying to keep my word."

"Just stay away from Elena." Stefan warns firmly.

"Where's your ring?" He redirects, "Oh yeah, sun's coming up in a couple of hours, and, poof, ashes to ashes." He presents the crested ring in the palm of his hand, "Relax, it's right here."

Damon allows his own true form to show and grabs ahold of his brother's neck the moment he secures the daylight ring on his finger and launches him at the garage. The beaten up figure bounces off of it and harshly hits the pavement, again, and lands on his back, at his opponent's feet.

"You should know better then to think you're stronger than me. You lost that fight when you stopped feeding on people. I wouldn't try it again." The noise of a swinging back door comes from the house, "I think we woke Zach up. Sorry, Zach."