Chapter 22: Curse Plague [Heather]

"Alright. Hit me up, whichever it is." I sighed.

"Then, I shall start with the bad news." Good choice. That way, you can sugarcoat it with the good news. Let's just hope it isn't that bad.

"Go ahead." I massaged my temples.

"Lady Bella had decided to host a tea party and it will occur next week." Great! Another party. Historical Fiction is full of parties! I have to meet those people, again.

It's not just bad. It's the worst! And, her as the host, of all people?!

"That is bad news. What's the good one?" I clipped back strands hair that was covering my face.

"Some of the esteemed nobles had taken your side at the party." The good news made me grin. Good, just as I planned.

My suffering had served its purpose. "Then, let's step up our game." We've got a good footing for now. We must use this opportunity it we'll lose it forever. The popularity poll always changes, after all.

"One more thing, there were rumors about the future empress of the empire. They said that the emperor would like to test every woman. That has been a candidate to be the best empress. There wouldn't be a proper competition, instead, both the nobles and commoners would judge the candidates based on their daily lives." Hah... That's troublesome. It means that there would be people who would be spying on us. I won't be able to move freely until then.

"I see. I don't really care about that. But, if Bella would be chosen, it would be a huge problem. I'm sure she'll behead me the moment she gets on the throne. Worse, she might let me suffer for my whole life being a tortured slave." My breaths hitched. That girl is ruthless. I don't know how or why she differed from the original heroine, but this is not her.

"My lady!" Thea has a frightened expression plastered on her face.

"Don't worry. I'm sure we'll find a way. Don't worry about it too much, Thea." I eased her. Sometimes, she worry too much, way more than a maid should be. But, I like it.

"How could I not? Perhaps, we should just kill her, right now, my lady." She said, clenching her fists.

"That wouldn't be satisfactory. I want a taste of revenge before anything happens." I smirked as I clenched my fists.

Thea stood up from her place. "Alright, I shall be by your side in every step you take, my lady." She bowed as she pulled the hems of her dress.

I nodded at her pledge. "Your thoughts has been deeply appreciated, Thea. Thank you." I already knew that she would follow no matter which way path I walk on through. But, it's reassuring to hear it directly from her.

"I am extremely honored to receive such gratitude." She smiled, brightly.

•••

I woke up the next morning and called for Keir.

"I have failed to report the other, my lady. Since a lot has happened." A lot indeed. I don't even want to remember about the sexual assault incident.

"Alright. Is your report to ready?" I sat up, slinging a shawl around my shoulders.

"Yes. I have also gathered more information these past few days."

"How competent. As expected of the Great Black Dragon!" I praised him, and he crooked a smile.

"I appreciate the compliment, my lady."

"The crystal is not from the Magic Tower. Well, it originated there, but was not used by any of the Black Tower mages." Huh...? Now, this had suddenly become complicated. "I can also sense a bit of a god's power in it." Did he just say god? GOD?!