Packing Up and Away

Kat POV

Today was the day. Baby boy, Sam, was leaving the nest. I promised I would help with the moving because I had a truck. Now normally I wouldn't like getting up early on a day with no classes, but today was an exception, because I knew how Sam's parents were gonna be and it was gonna be entertaining. Bunny tagged along and, well, it should be very obvious why Barricade couldn't tag along. I parked my truck in the driveway. I see the extra boxes that needed to be loaded into my truck and start loading them. I drop by in the garage and say hi to Bee and then make my way towards the back door.

"Come on, let's go! All hands on deck! Frankie, Mojo, out! Come on, kiddo, we're on a schedule," I hear uncle Ron as I walk into the house. I laugh a small bit at the attitude.

"Slow down, dad. Why are you in such a hurry to get rid of me?," asks Sam, "did you rent the room out?" I laugh a bit more and take the boxes from Uncle Ron's hands. He stops and turns back to his son as I walk off with the box to put it in my truck.

"No, I got other ideas for your room and it rhymes with 'home theater.'," Uncle Ron says with a laugh.

After loading the box in the car, I head back in the house to see Aunt Judy looking like she is gonna cry. Though before I can say anything Sam walks back in and she looks at him. Ah, yep, there's the slight entertainment. I did notice Bunny looking at her with his head tilted.

"Look what I found. It's your little baby booties," Aunt Judy says as she looks at Sam, holding up little baby shoes. I cover my mouth to keep from laughing.

"Ma," Sam says, trying to comfort his mom.

"My little baby-bootie boy," Aunt Judy says, "you can't go." Pfft, I love this family so much.

"Don't worry too much, Sam. She just is not ready for her baby to leave the nest yet," I said with a small laugh, looking at the two. I notice Sam looks past me and I turn around to see Uncle Ron.

"You see this, dad? This is how you're supposed to react when the fruit of your loins goes out into the cruel world to fend for himself, okay?," Sam says. I turn away and hunch over a bit trying to hold back laughter.

"Yeah, my heart bleeds for you, pal. College, bummer!," says Uncle Ron.

"You have to come home every holiday, not just the big ones. You have to come home for Halloween," Aunt Judy says, trying to dry her tears.

"I don't think he can come home for Halloween, Aunt Judy," I say, as I walk over to continue to help Uncle Ron.

"What Kat said. I can't exactly come home for Halloween, mom," I hear Sam say to his mom before I walk out the door. I walk over and load the last box into the back of my truck. There we go, now we are ready for a drive to college. I laugh a small bit as I head back towards the house.

"....you know, hard for her to accept that her boy's all grown up, you know, going out to handle the world on his own," I hear Uncle Ron say.

"You okay, pop?," asks Sam.

"Yeah," Says Uncle Ron.

"Yeah, he just has a slightly different reaction than your mom. And the realization has just hit, and he is close to crying too," I say as I walk into the room.

"Okay, Einstein, I don't need you reading me like a book right now," Uncle Ron says to me, I just smile a sweet smile back. The sounds of the dogs mating are heard and Uncle Ron gets on to them.

"You'll see a lot of that in college, too," Uncle Ron comments.

"I think he'll be fine, as long as he does not participate," I say with a laugh. They both go past me and outside. I can hear a small back and forth about his current relationship with Mikeala, I roll my eyes.