Chapter Forty-six - The truth

Reminder: The story is a fanfiction. So, the happening of this story is not true compered to reality.

Max

I drive to a little place just outside Milton Keynes, on the edge of the woods. I turn off the engine and do not know how fast I have to get out of the car. I start to run towards the woods as fast as I can. When I think I do not have some breath left, I try to scream as hard as I could. The frustration has built up since we left the airport. The only thing I need to do is sit down, I do not care if my clothes would get dirty.

After some time, I hear someone walking up to me and put their arms around me. I just totally forgot Lynn was here with me. "Get it all out" she says as she shushed me. I feel a tear rolling down my cheek and I and cannot control the next wave of tears that will come.

Lynn

I see that everything has taken its toll on Max. I stand up and place myself in front of him to comfort him properly. He puts his head on my shoulder as he starts crying again. We sit there for some time until Max is done crying. I hear him taking a deep breath as I wipe the last tears of his cheeks.

"Are you okay for now?" I ask him as he nods. "For now, I am" he added later on. "So, what is it you wanted to tell me?"

Max

I am scared to break down again, but she needs to know. "Uhmm.... Okay where do I need to start? Okay, I guess, I need to start at the beginning. Since I started my F1-career, starting or having a relationship at all, is I guess the hardest thing in my life so far. My previous relationships before my last were not that serious, but the last one was. Her name was Kelly, she was a bit older than me, and she has a kid. But that created stability through my chaotic life. We had been together for a year as she moved in with me. We were happy until she wanted us to make the next step into our relationship. I was not ready for it just yet, I still wanted to get more out of my life as I was still 23 years old" I tell her as I take a deep breath to get my breathing under control. I feel Lynn grabbing my hands as she looks into my eyes.

"We got into a huge argument, which resulted in her leaving the apartment. I thought she would come back later that night, but she did not. So, I waited for her to come home. I fell asleep and woke up on the couch the next morning and she still did not come back. I checked my phone to see if she messaged me, but she did not. That is where I started to get worried. I called some of her friends to ask if they knew where she was. After three hours I thought calling the police was the only option left. When I rang the phone, Kelly walked through the door. She looked like a mess. I asked her what happened, but she ignored it as she walked up to the bathroom and locked the door. When she was done taking a shower, I begged her to talk to me. I knew something had happened last night while she was gone, I just had that feeling" at this point I start to cry again. Lynn pushes me even closer to her to reassure me she did not mind me being a wreck like this.

"So, at that point she told me she met up with her ex at some bar. He is the father of Penelope. I cannot say the words about what happened without thinking about it again. So, I think you could fill this part in yourself. At this point she confessed to me she and her ex had been seeing each other more often lately and she did not even tell me. My trust was just gone, so we decided to end things between us. There was only one problem, we were a popular couple on the grid. After the breakup I contacted Christian, our team principal, and the PO-team to tell them about this. They asked me to come to Milton Keynes, just as they do now, to discuss a plan to handle this" I took another deep breath.

"They taught of a ridiculous plan. For me and Kelly to still pretend we were a couple. I just went mad. They did not want any negative publicity because I could still become word champion. I walked out of the room as Christian followed me out of the room. We both got upset up and says things we did not mean, or I know I did. So since then, everything between Christian and me has just been tense. He said when something like this happened again there would be dire consequences. And this was at the end of the summer break" I say while ending the story.

"So, no one knows about the breakup between you and Kelly?" she asks. I shake my head. "I am so sorry this has happened to you. I can imagine you are nerves to be back because of this. Everything will be okay" Lynn says. I give her a hug, "Let's go. People are waiting for us" I say as I stand up and walk towards the car.

As I get in, I see I have multiple missed calls from Gemma and Christian. I text them to let them know we will be there in twenty minutes.