Chapter Thirty-nine - Ghosted

Lynn

The alarm went off at 8am. It is a new day at the slopes, so we need to get dressed and go out for breakfast in half an hour. I open my phone as I see I have around thirty missed messages, twenty missed calls from friends and family at home. "What the hell is going on?" I ask myself.

"Veer, wake up!" I say out loud. "Something is going on and I don't know what?!" I say to her as I shake her whole body awake.

I scroll through all my messages. They all say kind of the same things:

"You know Max Verstappen?! How did I not know this?"

"You and Max Verstappen are dating?! How cute!"

"I know Max' last name is Verstappen. But why is making everyone such a big deal out of it?" I ask myself. "How does everyone know Max' last name?". Quickly I open up my Instagram and type Max Verstappen into the search bar. "Veer, look at this!" I scream to her as she is checking all her messages as well.

"Apparently, Max and Lando are famous racing drivers" she says as she is in shock.

Vera

We have been living in silence for twenty minutes. We just can't believe what is happening.

"What should we do?" Lynn asks me. "I don't know. Should we call them?" I answered Lynn.

"Maybe they haven't seen it, so we would be the first one to explain what was happening" I say to her.

I start to call Lando. After I dialed his number it went straight to voicemail. That is weird, Lando never turns off his phone. Or that is what he said. I tried it a few more times, but I still ended up getting his voicemail.

I decide to text him:

Vera: "Hey, are you awake already? I need to talk to you. Please call me when you see this."

When I push sent, I see he doesn't have a profile picture anymore and he doesn't receive my message. This is nothing like him.

"I can't reach Lando, can you try reaching Max?" I ask Lynn.

Lynn

I called Max several times. But just as Vera I keep getting his voicemail. So, I decide to send a message as well:

Lynn: "Hi, we need to talk. Both me and Vera and we can't reach you or Lando. What is going on?"

"The same happened to me Veer. Something is wrong, I know it. Let's change, get our stuff and we'll go to Max' apartment" I say to Veer.

We both put on a matching tracksuit as we walked out of our room. As we are waiting on the elevator I feel a message coming in. I get my phone as quick as possible as I see a new article; "Max Verstappen is a cheater and Lando Norris is off the market. But who are those girls?"

The elevator arrives as we get in, we push the, but ton for the ground floor. When the door opens someone is standing in front of it.

"You must be Lynn and Vera, Max sent me to get you. You girls have made kind of a mess if you didn't know it already" someone says wearing Red Bull racing clothing. "Who are you?" I ask her.

"Sorry, that was rude of me. I'm Gemma, Max' PO. Walk with me please" she answered. Vera and I walked with her to the exit. A lot of people are standing in front of it.

"Put your hoodie over your head and keep your face covered" she says and so we did. We walked through all the people as they were asking all kind of questions. "Just keep walking, at the side of the road is a black van. I want you to get in. They will bring you to Max' apartment" she says.

When we passed the crowd, we ran to the black van and got in. After a minute Gemma got in as well. "Sorry, I needed to make a statement. Let's get this mess cleaned up".