"And a repair job. You look terrible. Get your dumb backside in here before you turn to ash on my window sill."

Jiro climbed in the window, grateful that Ana was so accommodating. She shut the window and flicked a button on the wall. It was pure relief to Jiro when he watched the shutter close. Darkness consumed them for a moment before Ana turned on the light.

"So, you need to get your backside into the shower and bring your temperature down. I'll dig out my repair kit and something better than scorched pants, yeah?"

Jiro looked down at his legs and saw the burn marks. How close he had been and how grateful he was that she was so giving.

"That would be great, but things need to be turned around a little. Have you got gauze?"

"Yeah."

Ana was a little confused but said nothing else. If Jiro knew a better way to repair himself, then she wasn't going to refuse him. She had no idea how to patch up a vampire.

Searching her cupboard, Ana found the medical kit and turned back. She stopped and stared at the vampire who was removing his shirt.

Ignoring the body of muscles, Ana darted her eyes away and continued to the table, where she laid out the contents of the box.

"Cut them into strips, wet them and stick them tightly over the wound. Don't pinch the skin but keep it taut."

Ana nodded and searched for a bowl while Jiro began cutting strips. It was going to be a long morning of repairing a wounded vampire, something that Ana never thought would happen in her life.

"The season has turned rather swiftly."

"Yeah, I don't think anyone was expecting it to be so hot during the day, but it looks like today's going to be a scorcher. You certainly picked the best day to be outside."

Jiro huffed a soft laugh.

Ana stood behind Jiro and looked at the tattoo. Fear filled her. She knew that it meant more than just a marking.

"There's hardly any on your back," Ana said, ignoring her thoughts.

She needed to figure things out before she said anything to him. Did he know the meaning? Jiro was always vague on his past, saying that he could not remember his life before becoming a vampire. Was that the truth, or was he hiding too? 

Ana's mind whispered that it could be possible. Her mind was going fast, overthinking things and struggling to comprehend that maybe, just maybe, it was him. But, she had to check.

"Yeah, running into the sun. I tried to use the jacket to shield myself, but it didn't work. It will be okay, though. Once I do this and then cool down in the shower, my body will start to repair. The gauze will fall off when the job is done."

"Okay, well, the trash can is there, so don't be a grub and leave my shower in a messy state."

"I would not be such a rude guest, Ana. Which, thanks, by the way. I know that you've got a lot of issues with me at the moment, and I appreciate that you let me in."

"Well, one, I'd be a monster if I didn't, and two, it's not you that I have issues with. I know that you're going to say that she's your girlfriend but let's face it, we probably would have crossed paths eventually. She was clearly coming up here to shop."

"Yeah, that's possible. And she's not my girlfriend anymore. I went back to speak with her and definitely kill her. Someone else beat me to it."

Ana's eyes lifted with shock.

"Our leader's goons, ordered by him. They're looking for me."

"Do you think they want to kill you too?"

Jiro shrugged.

"I don't intend to find out. I have no idea where I will go, but I can't return."

Ana didn't say anything but happened to glance at the bed that was big enough for two. The alternative was the tiny lounge that could seat two but was not big enough to be a comfortable place to sleep.

They were now both on the run, and this tiny apartment was not enough for them. Where would be somewhere ideal, though? Ana didn't know.

When the patching was done, Jiro showered while Ana packed up the medical supplies. She sat on the chair and watched the security cameras.

It was an ordinary morning out there. No one lurking or watching. It was a relief, and she hoped that now that things had calmed down, she could find rest.

The door to the bathroom opened. Ana turned and looked at Jiro. His hair was still wet, trailing long water lines down the rigid torso. Wrapped around his waist was the towel, going as far as mid-thigh.

"Ana?"

"Right, the pants. Sorry, I was distracted by the cameras."

Rummaging through her cupboard, she found an old pair of sweatpants that she wore when she wanted to binge-watch television and drown her sorrows in a tub of reconstituted ice cream.

Pulling them out, she hoped they'd be big enough for Jiro. He wasn't a large guy, but he was more built than she'd thought.

Turning away when he began to put them on, Ana took a deep breath in. She was not going to submit to the thoughts. She was going to ignore them. It didn't matter that the girlfriend was gone now. They were friends, nothing more, nothing less.

Seeing movement in the cabinet's glass in front of her, Ana turned and watched Jiro use the towel to dry his hair. He had his back to her, returning to the bathroom to hang the towel.

"I am in so much trouble," she whispered.