39. (MCU) Loki - The Little Prince

https://eternallytoph.tumblr.com

Summary: You've had a rough day and you find comfort in the library

Warnings: Fluff, angst, comfort

Pairing: Loki Laufeyson x F!Reader

Word Count: 3k

-----

"Fury, I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention-" Nick immediately cuts you off. "Damn right you weren't! I took a chance with letting another kid on this damn team and you made me look like a fool! You let me down today." He snapped. Your eyes begin to fill with warm tears at his words. "I wasn't on my game. You're right. It won't happen again, I promise." you trembled. "It better not. You're excused." He replied sternly before looking down at the file in his hand.

You quickly turned around, pushing the door open and rushing down the hallway. Going to your room was the most predictable choice but instead, you decided to head to the library. The library was quiet and no one ever bothered to go in there which definitely meant some alone time. As you walked you wiped the tears from your eyes frantically, in fear of running into anyone on the way. You finally reach the library, pushing the door open in a hurry and closing it behind you. The air feels less heavy in the library, it's always clean and the smell from the fireplace is always comforting.

You gently run your fingers against the spines of the books, feeling each different texture under your fingertips. You pull one of the books from the shelf and run your hand over the front of it, admiring the cover. The Little Prince, the same one that you read as a kid. You smiled to yourself as you opened the cover, walking over to the tall dark wood cabinet filled with an array of blankets. You pull one of the knitted blankets from the cabinet and settle down on the loveseat couch.

As you flip through the pages of the book, you hear a slight shuffle from behind one of the bookcases which causes you to snap your head up in confusion. "Is someone there?" you ask lightly. Suddenly, Loki peers his head around the corner of the bookcase with a nervous smile on his face. "Loki? How long have you been there?" You chuckle. "Not much longer before you came running in. You seemed quite upset and I did not want to bother you." He mumbled. "I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone was in here." you apologize before closing your book and sitting up.

"Please, stay. Don't let me get in the way of your alone time." He pleads. "Are you sure? You were here before me and I don't wanna be a bother to you." You ask cautiously. "I'm quite okay with sharing the space. That is if you are okay with it." He proposes. You smile warmly at him and his posture settles, his tense shoulders relaxing a bit. He pulls a book off the shelf without reading the title and sits on the couch across from the one you're settled on.

"The Little Prince" Loki smiles. "Hm?" you reply in confusion. He then motions to the book in your hands and you continue. "Oh, yeah. It's one of my favourites actually." you smile at him. "Is it? I can't say I've ever read that one. What's it about?" he asks in a genuine tone. "Well, it's about a little prince who meets a pilot stranded in the desert. The prince tells the pilot that he was born on an asteroid and he recounts many strange encounters from his travels. I don't want to spoil it much but it is definitely worth reading" you explain passionately. Loki doesn't take his eyes off of you the whole time, he enjoys watching you explain the things you love.

"Would you mind reading me some of it?" Loki asks boldly. You're shocked by his sudden boldness but it makes you smile. "I'd love to. Would it be okay if you sat closer? I'm a pretty quiet reader." You smile. Loki raises his eyebrow at your words and approaches the couch you're stretched out on.

You quickly sit up and he sits down on the cushion beside you with a soft smile. He hesitantly lifts his hand, wrapping his forearm around both your ankles pulling them back over his lap and gently resting his hand on your leg once you're settled. You smile at the sudden contact. He nods at you and you reopen the book, landing back on your previous page.