11. (MCU) Loki - Together

https://handmaiden-of-mischief.tumblr.com/

𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 | Loki x female reader

𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 | When Thor doesn't return to Asgard with Loki and the Tesseract, Frigga sends you to bring Loki back home. Loki, your first love - and your last. Who vanished one year ago after his failed attempt to steal the throne of Asgard and destroy Jotunheim. But how much is left of the man you love - and are you able to stop him before it's too late?

𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 | angst with a happy ending, romance

𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 | 3 k

𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 | angst (but it has a happy ending!)

-----

The screams were the first thing you noticed as you stepped through the tear in the fabric between worlds and the grey mist around you cleared, leaving nothing behind but the faint stench of black magic, a smell of charred hair and burnt skin that made your nose tingle.

It was Frigga who had sent you to Midgard after Thor had failed to return with Loki and the Tesseract.

Bring him back home, she'd implored you, clasping your hands in hers. If he won't listen to Thor – he will listen to you.

But now, taking in the scene of chaos all around you, you wondered if it was already too late. If you were too late.

The tear between Yggdrasil's branches, opened with the last scraps of black magic Frigga had been able to summon and bend to her will, had brought you to the rooftop of a skyscraper; a building which rose in the middle of the Midgardian city as if it actually intended to scratch the dark thunder clouds swirling in the sky above.

Even at this height, the chaos and terror which reigned in the streets below were clearly audible above the roar of another portal that shot into the skies in a column of light and seemed to rip them open, a doorway which should never have been opened, spitting out a never ceasing string of monsters which rushed into the city below.

A gasp was torn from your lips as your eyes locked on the lone figure standing at the edge of the rooftop in front of you, watching the pandemonium in the city streets at his feet, oblivious to your presence.

He looked as regal as you remembered him, with the vibrant fabric of his green cape billowing softly around his ankles while the wind played with strands of his midnight black hair which spilled out from under his horned helmet, the golden metal glinting as it caught the thin rays of sunlight seeping through the cloud cover here and there. As unmoving and observant as the golden statues of kings and queens of the past which lined the glinting halls of Asgard's palace.

"Loki," you whispered as you watched the man you still loved more than anything else, and dread started to dig its sharp talons into your broken heart, threatening to shred it into ribbons all over again. Your voice had barely been more than a broken whisper, drowned out by the screams and the portal's steady roar and the sounds of fighting; carried away uselessly by the wind which picked up its speed as if it wanted to silence you – but Loki had heard you, nonetheless.

He whirled around, and his stunning cerulean eyes, widened with surprise, met yours.

Two lonely souls, so few steps apart. Though it could as well have been an ocean or the vastness of the universe separating you. And still, you could feel it, the tug at your heart upon seeing him, the sense of belonging, of his soul calling out to yours as it always had. Did he still feel the same?

For a few heartbeats, you thought you'd seen softness flicker in his eyes, or perhaps regret – but his expression hardened. The indifference in his beautiful eyes, which were as cold and hard as a pair of gemstones where there had once been oceans of love and devotion whenever he'd gazed at you, snuffed out what little had been left of the embers of hope glimmering in your chest.