Chapter 340 - Drunk

Nie Yan walked out of the academic examination room and let out a long sigh of relief. The maximum score on this hour-long exam was 720 points. But the questions were so hard he'd be happy with just 500. There were even a bunch of concepts he knew practically nothing about.

"How'd you do?" Zhai Hao asked. He and Xia Ling had been fretting endlessly this whole time.

"I heard the benchmark for an Ace in both command and interstellar travel is 600 points," Xia Ling added.

"Don't worry about it. If I get in, I get in. If not, so be it." Nie Yan laughed off their worries. Getting into the Top Military Academy was good enough for him. Being selected as an Ace was simply too much to hope for. With the Top Military Academy's admission notice in hand, he could already be considered a part of certain powerful influences. Others would have to think twice before making a move against him, because acting against the academy's students would be provoking the Top Military Academy's prestige. Even if major consortiums had some background, they had to tread carefully around the academy. If they went too far, the academy's alumni could easily take them down!

This was the main reason he wanted to join the Top Military Academy. The identity of a student there would be an extra layer of security for him. His status alone would deter his enemies from using underhanded means to rough him up.

Nie Yan immediately informed his parents about his admission into the Top Military Academy. Father and Mother Nie were both ecstatic, especially his father. One of Father Nie's greatest regrets in life was not getting into the Top Military Academy. So, when he heard his son had succeeded where he had not, he almost burst into tears. At long last, he saw this dream of his fulfilled through his son.

Nie Yan could clearly hear his father's voice quivering on the other side of the call. He thought back to when he got rejected in the previous timeline, and the utter disappointment on his father's face at the time. The contrast between the sad memory back then and the now-reversed situation filled Nie Yan with an indescribable emotion.

This time, he had no regrets.

Nie Yan joined his friends for a celebratory meal. They ate, sang, and drank heartily under the restaurant's red lighting. He and Xie Yao were both pushed into drinking more and more until they got more than a little tipsy.

After the meal, Nie Yan stared at Xie Yao. The alcohol flushed her skin, giving her cheeks an additional redness that only added to her charm. She didn't have an overcoat on, only a white wool jumper that perfectly accentuated her curves. She was like an enchantress who drew men's eyes wherever she went.

Including Tang Yao, there were nine of them there. Tang Yao had to leave early, but the rest of them kept having fun until around one in the afternoon. That was when four more people left, leaving only Nie Yan, Xie Yao, Zhai Hao, and Xia Ling. With just the four of them, the atmosphere suddenly became a lot more intimate.

Zhai Hao looked pointedly at Nie Yan before nudging Xia Ling and whispering, "Let's go. Nie Yan can take Xie Yao home. He's parked just downstairs."

Xia Ling looked meaningfully at Nie Yan and Xie Yao, a knowing grin on her face. "Alright, let's stop bothering these two lovebirds."

Zhai Hao and Xia Ling quickly made themselves scarce.

Nie Yan looked at Xie Yao, who lowered her head in embarrassment and nervously pushed her hair behind her shoulder. The red light bounced off her face, creating a charming halo around her head. As Nie Yan looked at Xie Yao, he thought she couldn't be any less beautiful than the goddess Aphrodite.

"I'll send you home," Nie Yan offered with a courteous bow to his lady.

"Yes," Xie Yao answered, a little too quickly. She could feel Nie Yan's heated gaze on her as she became increasingly aware that the two of them were alone in a fairly small private room. How could she not be nervous?