Chapter 327 - Twisting Vines Scroll

Nie Yan and Tang Yao walked into the building. The walls which were covered in cracks looked like they could collapse at any moment. Many NPCs were stationed inside. All of them wore desert clothing with hoods that draped over their faces. They sold a variety of consumables and crafting materials, all of which were local specialties.

Nie Yan led Tang Yao past these NPCs to a remote corner in the back, where they stopped in front of a shabby wooden door. Behind it was a narrow underground passageway.

"Let's go," Nie Yan said as he walked down.

"Where are we going?" Tang Yao asked. The passageway was so dark he couldn't even see his feet. He could only rely on his other senses to follow Nie Yan.

"We're going to an NPC to buy a few scrolls," Nie Yan replied. His ability to see in the dark had greatly improved thanks to Empress Finas' Fate Pearl. His pupils narrowed into vertical slits and emitted a faint blue glow. Everything in the passageway became as visible as day.

"Oh! So we're just buying scrolls!" Tang Yao breathed out a sigh of relief. However, he couldn't help but think this NPC was too secretive. Without prior knowledge, this place was almost impossible to find. Perhaps only one or two players would occasionally stumble across it.

Secret NPCs were abundant in Conviction. They could be found in remote locations across every town and city. Trembling Milo back in Calore and Scroll Master Davina, who Nie Yan and Tang Yao were currently visiting, were examples of such NPCs. They often sold goods that couldn't be found in regular shops.

Scroll Master Davina was an eccentric woman. There were many rumours related to her floating around in this desert town. But little did everyone know that she was actually living below the town! Her temperament was odd. No one wanted to associate with her. She restricted the number of scrolls that could be purchased from her to 10 a day. If they tried to buy more, she would shoo them away with a nasty attitude. The items she sold were quite rare. Occasionally, some amazing items would emerge. Players were often able to get many good things from this place.

After walking through the passageway for several minutes, they saw a dim light up ahead.

"We're here," Nie Yan said, his pupils returning to normal as he walked toward the light. He surveyed the surroundings and saw a cramped room roughly 3 by 5 meters in size. The walls were lined with shelves filled with different kinds of scrolls, many of which were only half finished or incomplete. A desk and chair stood in the middle of the room. The remaining space could only accommodate two or three people at most. Scrolls were chaotically scattered across the floor.

Sitting behind the desk was a person in black robes which hid her appearance. All that could be discerned was that she was a woman. Her pale white hand was holding onto a slender ash-gray pen. She was scribbling on a piece of parchment, inscribing all sorts of strange runic patterns.

She was buried under a pile of scrolls. Her figure was solitary as if she was cut off from the rest of the world.

"She sells the scrolls?" Tang Yao asked. He was about to take a step forward.

Nie Yan quickly reached out his arm and stopped him. "Wait! Don't move!"

Stopped by Nie Yan, Tang Yao's foot remained hovering midway through a step.

Nie Yan bent down and started picking up the scrolls on the floor. With a pile of scrolls in his arms, he walked toward the shelves and started putting them away in an earnest manner.

Scroll Master Davina continued scribbling on the piece of parchment, ignoring Nie Yan.

In the previous timeline, when players discovered this place they boorishly stepped atop these scrolls. Not only did Scroll Master Davina refuse to sell them anything, she even drove them out of her dwelling. This was a hidden requirement. Players had to show Scroll Master Davina enough respect to purchase her scrolls.