26

Clay was quick to jog up the stairs towards Juno's apartment, he wanted to make things right between them

Clay was quick to jog up the stairs towards Juno's apartment, he wanted to make things right between them. He NEEDED to make things right.

It was only upon knocking on the door that he realised that she might now answer after having all her personal information leaked. Was she even home?

He didn't have long to dwell though as he was met with a "Who is it?" on the other side of the door.

"It's Clay, please open the door Juno." He sounded desperate. He was desperate.

Juno slowly opened the door, only slightly peering out. "Clay? What are you doing here?"

"Can I please come in? I don't want to break-up, I want to work this out." He begged.

Looking slightly nervous, Juno opened the door for him and led him to the couch. If there was one thing Juno was good at, it was relating her life to mythology. To her this whole thing felt like the Oath of Horatii.

Rome at War with a near-by city, this conflict has been going on for a while. Both cities wanted to end this conflict and to do so they decided that each city will choose 3 warriors who will fight to the death in a field and whoever comes out victorious wins.

Each city ends up choosing three brothers. Rome picks three brothers of the Horatii family. The other family is the Curiotii family.

These two families were incredibly entangled with one another. The sister of the Horriati brothers was engaged to one of the Curiatii brothers. The Curiatii brothers also had a sister who was married to one of the Horriati brothers.

When both sets of brothers go off to battle the Curiatii brothers quickly kill two of the Horatii brothers but the one remaining one kills off the three Curiatii brothers one by one. Rome has won with the death of all three Curiatii brothers.

When the remaining Horriati brother approaches Rome again the sister comes running towards her brother in tears, not because her brothers are dead or because she is happy that he is alive but because her fiance is dead. He is so angry at this that he kills his sister.

The brother is is aressted of murder, and supossed to be put to death by the government but he appeals to a public council of Rome and is pardoned for his crimes.

Juno feels like this embodies how she feels.

Aphrodite has done something horrible to her but because she plays it up to be some victim she gets off scot free. Juno is the dead sister, Aphrodite had killed her and she will not face the consequences of that.

Along the way Aphrodite also took down Clay. Juno views this as like the battle. Aphrodite is the surviving Horriati brother, Clay is the dead Curiatii brother and Juno is the grieving fiancee who will soon be killed for grieving.

It seemed like there was no way out of this, the public court had made up their minds and Aphrodite was certainly not in the wrong here.

The couple had only been dating for just over three months now, which made Juno feel like the fight was not worth it. Juno had come to care about Clay a whole heck of a lot in that time but was it worth it for Clay to sacrifice his public image to stay with her?

Yet here Clay was, he came back to her. He was there, wanting to fight for their relationship. Maybe that meant something, maybe that meant that things would not completely go to shit for their relationship.

"I'm scared Clay," Juno said after a moment of silence.

"I am too." He said.

"I'm sorry for reacting out of fear. I just can't be the reason your career takes a nosedive."

"Baby," He started while reaching his hand to grasp hers, "I adore you, I don't want you to worry about things like that. You mean so much to me and some stupid lies online is not worth ending this relationship. It always works out, everything will get cleared up eventually."

The couple looked hopeful with that. Maybe this was going to work out. They still had a lot to work through after this but knowing they both still cared about this relationship was so meaningful to them.

Clay leaned in, intending to share a meaningful kiss with his girl. Juno had no opposition to this and started to lean towards him as well.

Of course nothing works out as planned though because as soon as their lips brushed against each other there was an intense banging on the door.

Juno jumped at this. Did her address get leaked for real and someone had shown up to harass her? That thought didn't seem like real life.

"I'll see who it is," Clay braved.

Getting up and opening the door he was met with the one person he hoped he would never see ever again.

Aphrodite Talisman. 

AN: I think this book has about 10-15 more chapters. I want to end with some nice fluff chapters. 

I have like four books in my drafts - leave a comment if you have an opinion on what I should start to publish next! 

- Georgenotfound: Slowburn friends to lovers 

- Sapnap: the olive theory vibes

- Punz: Art Class AU 

- Foolish: Escaping an Arranged Marriage