14

Juno was wrong to think this could be anything but a shit show

Juno was wrong to think this could be anything but a shit show. She knew that this would end up with her dropping off Clay and sobbing in her car as soon as introductions were made.

The boy looked uncomfortable, Juno stuck to his side like glue. Logically she knew that this didn't have to end in tears but emotionally this had been a bad idea from the start. She didn't know how much longer she could take Aphrodite looking HER boyfriend up and down like a piece of meat.

"So Clay, what do you do for a living?" Joseph asked.

"I'm in marketing and advertising" He responded swiftly.

Clay and Juno had discussed before entering the door that Clay would not be revealing his real profession to the family. With his face not out there Juno had expressed a fear of him being taken advantage of if Aphrodite didn't get his way, he was more than happy to comply with not disclosing the full information of his job.

"So you still have an eye for design then. I can see why you were able to take such pretty photos of Juno then." Aphrodite chimed in.

Before Juno could even respond to the comment Dream was quick to respond. 

"Well it helps when you have a beautiful subject."

In any other family they would have cooed at this, they would have seen how much the couple cared for each other. They would have seen the way Juno's cheeks heated up and Clay reached over to take her hand.

This wasn't a normal family though. Juno's parents did not see this as a sign of the couple's growing love but rather as a sign that this would be a good man for their Aphrodite. If he spoke about Juno this way then imagine how he would speak about Aphrodite.

"Then you should have no issues photographing Aphrodite! She has such lovely eyes, they make for a beautiful focal point of a photo." Anne Marie commented.

Clay was completely taken aback by this. All the preparation Juno did with him could not have prepared the boy for the actuality of her parents' blatant favouritism of Aphrodite.

"Photographing Aphrodite? You should probably hire a professional if you're looking for specific photos. I'm more of a photographer when I'm feeling inspired." Clay was trying to diffuse this gently.

"Well why don't you take me on a date? I'm sure I will give you some inspiration there." Aphrodite stated.

This was too much for Juno. She was quick to clench her eyes shut and take a deep breath, trying to gather the courage to speak up for both herself and her boyfriend. It was unacceptable to let herself get walked over again and again, Clay knew that. He gave her a few moments to gather herself and respond before he reacted, he knew she needed this.

"Aphrodite, he is my boyfriend. We are dating. And before you start asking we were not officially dating when you first asked, so I wasn't lying." Juno was firm in her words, Clay was extremely proud of her.