Pick Your Prize

The whole island was was abuzz with excitement that summer night. Everyone was going to the plaza for a first of its kind event and curiousity was running rampart among the islanders. It turned out that Zeynep was not the only student that had been invited to go to the space camp. Three other children had received the same offer. Unfortunately, all these children did not have the funds to go. Although Poyraz and Haziran had managed to raise the necessary money to finance Zeynep's trip by winning the prize at the island's yearly dance marathon, there was no other purse available. Many felt that it would be a shame for these three children to miss this important educational opportunity. But what to do? Selling little tokens to tourists was not enough and would take too long. Also, this would be at odds with the island vendors who would not appreciate the competition. So the island elders had to come up with a fundraiser idea. Actually, the idea that they had agreed upon came from Biricik who had heard the discussion while at a table next to the group at Melissa's cafe. She had a suggested an auction, but not an ordinary one. The bidding will not be for some random items scrounged up from people's closets or attics. Rather, what would be up auction would be a date with one of the eligible men on the island. They were sure to agree. After all, it was all for a good cause.

The minute the flyers for the event had been posted on the designated boards, enthusiasm has run high. The island was notoriously slow and laid back. Every day seemed to pass by languorously with the warm breeze and sun that surrounds the place. This was a burst of adrenaline in those somnolent times. Everyone had gossiped about the possible bachelors chosen, the prize they would fetch and the dates that the winning ladies would enjoy. All the single ladies had prepared for the auction night by looking their best in case the guy they were secretly hankering for was one of the bachelors up for auction. The married ladies were slightly miffed at being excluded but decided to enjoy the event anyway. The men were looking forward to laughing at the poor saps who had been corralled to participate in this crazy idea. Secretly though, these same men were quite relieved not being on the chopping block and facing the possible humiliation of getting zero bids.

Everyone entered the plaza where all island events seem to take place. Above the raised stage, lights had been strung, their yellow glow brightening the space. Multicolored flags swayed next to the lights, their various colors adding a festive atmosphere to the affair. Lively music could be heard coming from a couple large speakers strategically placed on each side of the stage.  The women who intended to bid had signed up on a table by the entrance. Each had been given a paddle with a number for bidding. Then they each tried to get a seat with the best view of the stage.

Mert came out looking dapper in his dark shorts, light blue shirt and bow tie. Standing on the stage, he welcomed everyone to the auction.  As he announced the rules for bidding, the people fidgeted slightly in their seats. They were anxious for the event to start. Mert then called Mayor Latif to the stage. The Mayor discussed the reason for the event going on, saying that the island always looked out for each other, but this was a way to add some fun to the fundraiser.  He thanked the participants telling them that they were not only brave men but also good sports for agreeing to be guinea pigs.  Winking to the audience, he encouraged everyone to bid high and often, and wished them all good luck.

The mayor then gave the microphone back to Mert and appeared to be walking away.  But as he was about to reach the steps of the platform, he turned, straightened his jacket, and smoothed out his hair.  The Mayor slowly walked back to the center of the stage where a spotlight was shown over him.  Mert announced that the first eligible bachelor up for auction was none other than the mayor himself!  Reading from a cue card, Mert read the mayor's biography to the audience.  As Mert's voice read on, the Mayor tried not to pull at this collar while telling himself that he had agreed to do this to encourage the others to participate.  He did not want to admit that he also did it because he wanted to know if he still had it. He had been a bachelor for a very long time and he was lonely.  A date with someone, for charity of course, was not a bad thing.