Unexpected Journey (or Counting the Days)

Haziran finally decided to go out with friends after wallowing in her sorrow for months following her break up with her boyfriend Ayaz. She was so sure he was "The One."  Last year, they had been making plans about their careers and getting married after they finished college. Haziran had been looking forward to a career in film and Ayaz was going to be an engineer. They had planned for a fall wedding to give themselves some time to establish themselves in their new jobs and to also have some cushion for the wedding preparations.  But all of that went on the wayside when Ayaz met Berrak while interning as an apprentice engineer at Berrak's family construction business.  Ayaz had been dazzled by Berrak's beauty, if not her money, and had left Haziran for Berrak. Haziran had hidden away from everyone, not wanting anyone to see her heartache. However, she realized that being depressed over a man in her last year in college was not going to do her any good. She had already wasted enough time on this duplicitous man and it was time to move on.  She was about to enter her final semester and was going to enjoy these last few months before the responsibilities of adulthood caught up with her. So here she was, in a club, celebrating with her friends. She had been drinking margaritas and tequilas nonstop and her best friend Biricik was encouraging the whole craziness, telling her to let loose and forget about Ayaz. She even said that maybe the best way to get over her heartache was to have a one night stand with some random stranger. Haziran laughed at the suggestion but privately thought, "not going to happen." But, to stop Biricik's nagging, she pretended to look around.

As she looked around the crowd, Haziran's eyes stopped at a man who looked to be about five years older than her.  He had slightly curled dark hair, a straight nose and a shapely mouth. He had a mustache complemented by a dark shadow of a beard by his jaw and chin.  He was wearing a dark green shirt that emphasized his broad chest and well muscled arms.  When he reached for something in his back pants pocket, Haziran noted his long strong legs and well formed ....

Haziran's slow perusal of her mystery man stopped when she noticed that he and his group of friends all seemed to be looking at her.  She saw one of the men with him whisper something to his ear and the others seemed to be teasing him.  He laughed in response and said something back, while still looking at her.  Then he straightened up and started walking towards her.  When he got close, Haziran saw that he had gorgeous green eyes flecked with brown and gold.  She also noted that he was deliciously tall, towering over her even with her 5'6 frame in 4-inch heels. He said, "Hello, I'm Poyraz." 

"Hi, I'm Haziran," she said in a breathless voice.  She did now know why she sounded like she had just run a marathon, but she could feel her heart beating fast and her breathing being constricted.  She also felt herself starting to blush and she hoped her cheeks did not have red spots all over.

"Nice to meet you Haziran.  Could I buy you a drink?"  Poyraz asked.  Haziran nodded as she felt herself being pushed forward by Biricik, who said "don't come back any time soon!" Haziran turned and gave Biricik a fierce stare.  Biricik just laughed back and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at her.

Haziran found that it was nice to walk in a busy crowd with Poyraz.  His strong body easily created a path for them as they walked towards the bar.  When she and Poyraz reached the bartender, he asked "what can I get you?"

She said, "margarita, that's what I've been having tonight."

Poyraz ordered her a margarita and a beer for himself. When they had their drinks, he said, "are you from around here?" Then he immediately grimaced saying, "that question was a bit trite, huh."

Haziran chuckled and said, "not at all. Actually I am from Sinop and you?"

Poyraz smiled back and said "from Sigacik, it's an island not far from Izmir."