Redux

Haziran looked at her reflection on the mirror and smiled excitedly.  Everything was in readiness for that evening.  It was the first Valentine's Day that she and Poyraz were celebrating together as husband and wife and Haziran thought this would be the perfect way to celebrate this special night.  So for a week, she had gathered all the necessary items.  All that was needed was for Poyraz to walk through the door.

Haziran again surveyed their place to make sure the setting was just right.  She smiled at the votive candles that she had lit by the side table and the little table she had placed by the bed.  The little table was lit by two candlesticks and was laden with breads, fruits and tarts.  Haziran giggled when she spotted one particular fruit, the black currants and was transported back to that night that she was trying to recreate.  Only this night, there would be absolutely no interruptions!

She had been so nervous that night.  She had known that it could lead to something momentous  between her and Poyraz.  A new step in their relationship given the building tension they felt each time they were together.  She had taken special care with her appearance, wearing a white dress with a deep neckline and spritzing herself with her favorite perfume.  She thought she was ready to face Poyraz when he came but he took her breath away.  He looked perfect, just as if he stepped out of her dreams.  Then, when he kissed her cheek and gave her that single red rose, she had forgot all her preparations and plans.  Instead, she sat by the edge of the bed, grabbed the basket of fruits and babbled about the health benefits of black currants. 

Poyraz seemed amused by her prattle, asking her if they were going to talk about black currants all night.  She had responded that of course they were not going to talk about the fruit all night and tried to think of other topics they could explore.  But at that moment, Poyraz did not seem to be interested in talking anymore.  He had leaned forward, his eyes looking down to her lips, traveling slowly up to her eyes.  The look he gave her told her that he wanted to devour her.  In response, she closed her eyes, ready and willing to fall into the maelstrom swirling around them.  It was at that moment, however, that Zorba started barking to warn them of Biricik's arrival.  They had reluctantly separated and she mistakenly pushed Poyraz to hide away. 

She should have shooed Biricik away instead.  She had deeply regretted ever since how that wonderful night had turned into a disaster.  Tonight was her opportunity to make it up to her husband.  So she had worn the same dress, sprayed the same perfume, obtained the same food and decorated the place to match.  The only thing that would not be reprised was how the night had ended.  This night she would make sure that the heat they felt that night would burn.

She stood up as she heard Poyraz open the door.  He looked at her and the around the room. He then slowly strolled around. First touching the side table where the votive candles were merrily flickering. Then he walked towards her and stopped by the little table looking down at the delicacies. He looked at her, tilting his head to one side and quirking his eyebrows. Then he grinned at her and said, "this reminds me of something." He bent down, picked up a black currant and held it out to her. "Should we talk about its health benefits?"

Haziran laughed, saying "yes, let's do that. I've read some additional nutritional advantages to eating this fruit."

Poyraz returned her laugh and went towards her to put his arms around her. He then leaned back, lifted his right hand and tilted her face with his finger so that he could kiss her softly on the lips. Poyraz took a step back and looked at her, particularly her dress.  He pulled a small box from his pocket and said, "I was going to give this to you later after we had dinner, but I think it would be better if I gave it to you now. The setting would not be complete without it."

Haziran was bemused by Poyraz's statement and did not know quite what to make of what he said. But when she saw what was in the box, he was absolutely right.

"I know that the original one had been lost, so I had an exact replica made," Poyraz said. "I have seen you searching for it."

Haziran's eyes grew misty. In her recreation, there was one missing piece, the "H" necklace that she had been wearing that night. It had vanished and no matter how much she had looked for it, she could not find it. It had broken Haziran's heart to know that she may have lost Poyraz's gift forever. Now, he was giving her back what she had lost.

Haziran turned around and lifted her hair so that Poyraz could put the necklace on her. After he secured the clasp, he leaned over and whispered one of her favorite poems in her ear. "i carry your heart with me, i carry it in my heart, i am never without it, anywhere i go you go, my dear and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling."

When she finally turned around to face him, Poyraz had to wipe away some of the tears that had fallen from her eyes. He said, "I will always carry you in my heart because everything that we have done together is carved into my core. No matter how many times we create or recreate our memories, you are always there."

Haziran then pulled her husband close and kissed him deeply. She promised herself that she would create wonderful memories with this man and pray that their happiness and bliss together would be a constant redo throughout their life.

*poem was I Carry Your Heart With Me by E.E. Cummings