Beautiful Morning

Haziran woke up at dawn, pleasantly warm and cocooned in the blankets that covered her shoulders.  She saw that Poyraz was still asleep.  He was on his side facing her, his arm carelessly thrown around her waist, holding her close.

Haziran wanted to lift her hand and touch him, just to make sure he was real and not a figment of her imagination.  It was the morning after their wedding and she wanted to make sure he was actually right there beside her.

But she did not want to wake him so she contented herself in tracing his every feature with her eyes.  He looked so much younger asleep, almost boyish.  The cares of the past few months eased by his slumber.  It had been a difficult few months. Haziran's heart still ached at the memory of their parting when she went to Izmir, and the fear of forever losing him when she was kidnapped.  So now, seeing all the worry erased from his brow eased the remaining sorrow that was in her heart.

Poyraz stirred and sleepily opened one eye before opening both to look at her.  Haziran tentatively smiled, not knowing quite what to do.  How did one act  when one wakes up next to a man who is now one's husband for the first time?

Not that it was the first time that Haziran had woken up next to Poyraz.  There was that time they accidentally slept in the same room not knowing the other was there.  Then that time she dragged Poyraz to the room after he had slept outside. Finally, there was that time they both found and took care of Deniz.  Not that they did much sleeping when the baby was there since Deniz needed a lot of care and attention.  But this was the first time Haziran was waking up in the same bed with Poyraz who was now her husband.

This will be the first of many years of seeing his face every morning.  Plus, this was the first day she had woken up with him, in the same bed, with no clothes on. 

Should she have put on a night gown after making love last night or would he had thought less of her? After all, he was not wearing clothes himself? What would he think of her in the harsh light of the morning?  Would he still think her beautiful when he saw her tangled mess of a hair?  Would he treat her different after having seen her body?

Haziran's panicked musings were interrupted by Poyraz who was now fully awake.  He lifted his hand, carefully touching her face, before saying, "Good morning, Karicim." Haziran smiled back and shyly said, "Good morning, Kocam."

Poyraz's face, which was smiling before, now turned softly serious.  He said, "I have dreamed of waking with you as my wife for so long that I was afraid that you would disappear if I touched you."  Haziran smiled and said, "I had been afraid of the same thing too."

Poyraz then pulled her close, their bodies touching each other intimately, the feeling both foreign and familiar.  Haziran forgot all about her worries and uncertainties as they remembered the night with each touch. She forgot about her concerns about the proprieties and required morning etiquette between husband and wife.  She forgot about everything at that moment.  There was only Poyraz.