Perfect Moment

The first part of the story was written a while ago but never posted.  The Epilogue written just before Mother's Day.  Hopefully they go well together.

******

Poyraz looked at his phone for what seemed liked the hundredth time to check if Haziran called. They were both back on the Ada. It was not to visit though, it was for business. Their friend Alper, who had been running their hotel while they worked in Istanbul, has broken his leg while on a hike with his wife Melisa. There was no one else who could be called upon to run the hotel on short notice. So Poyraz and Haziran were forced to return themselves and take care of the hotel until Alper had recovered enough to run the hotel. Really, only one of them was needed to return and take care of things, but Poyraz could not leave Haziran by herself in Istanbul. Haziran was eight months pregnant and Poyraz did not want to be away from her with only their friends to look after her. There was also the fact that there was no way Poyraz was going to be absent when his first child was born. So here they were both on the island.

For the past few days, Haziran had been manning the front desk at the hotel and answering guest questions to keep herself busy. But today, Melisa could not be spared from her restaurant. Haziran volunteered to look after Alper. After all, it was only for that afternoon, "what could possibly go wrong," Haziran said. Poyraz reluctantly agreed especially after Haziran took offense when he pointed out that she was pregnant. Haziran indignantly said that she was pregnant, not an invalid. To get back to his wife's good graces, Poyraz had soothed her and said of course she could watch over Alper if she wanted. Still, Poyraz would have felt so much better if Haziran was in the hotel with him where he could watch over her. Haziran called it hovering and would constantly chase him away with errands. She said the unceasing scrutiny by him was making her want to hide from him just to get surcease. But Poyraz could not help it. He just wanted to make sure she was well and cared for. He desperately wanted to give her a call just to hear her voice and be assured of her well-being. All the same, he did not want to make her anxious so he forced himself to put the phone back in his pocket and went to see if anything was needed in the kitchen.

*****

Haziran sat down on an upholstered chair by Alper's bed. Alper was sleeping at that moment and in deep slumber. His left leg was encased in a hard cast and elevated on a mound of four pillows. There was nothing for Haziran to do at the moment so she decided to continue reading a book on what to expect about new fathers. She hoped it would shed light on how to best deal with Poyraz's paranoia.

It was the fifth time that Haziran had moved about Melisa's and Alper's collection of couches and chairs. All had been going well until a few hours ago when the constant back pain she had been feeling started to intensify. Haziran did not want to tell Poyraz that she had been feeling uncomfortable that morning. She did not want him to stop her from going to Melisa and Alper's place. She had been looking forward for some peace and quiet, and to relax from Poyraz's perusal. She was hoping this new chair would help ease the ache in her back.

After a few minutes of reading, Alper woke up. Haziran asked if he wanted anything. Alper said, "something to drink would be nice."

Haziran got up and went to the kitchen to get some water. As she was pouring some water into a glass, she accidentally spilled some of the liquid on the counter when she felt a particularly sharp pain that spread from her back to her lower abdomen. She then felt something warm and moist go down her leg. She looked down and saw a small puddle on the flow. She hurried as fast as she could to go back to Alper's room to reach the phone she had left at the small table next to the chair where she had been sitting. She needed to call Poyraz as soon as she could!