Healing

Dedicated to Carol who asked for an elevator AU based on this picture.
********

Haziran unsuccessfully tried to stifle her giggles as she teased Poyraz by surreptitiously running her fingertips up his back as he tried to talk to the receptionist assisting them in checking into the hotel.  She even let them graze just slightly below his belt to see what reaction this indelicate touch would bring.  She could see that she was successful in her efforts to distract him by the red flush that crept up his neck.  But Poyraz refused to acknowledge her endeavors.  Instead, he reached behind his back and captured her fingers, keeping a tight grip on them until he finished his transaction.  Haziran gave a little harumph at this development and frowned at being deprived of her sport.

Her fingers trapped in Poyraz's hand, Haziran decided to look around the hotel they were staying in while in Izmir.  They had told Alper that they would stop by Izmir on their way to Istanbul to take care of a transaction for the hotel.  There was no need for Alper to go himself when Poyraz and Haziran were already going off island.  So here they were, staying in this understated but tastefully decorated hotel that had that touch of elegance that satisfied her new bride sensibilities.  After all, they were still in their honeymoon stage and it was nice spend time with each other in a beautiful setting.

Once Poyraz was handed their room keys, they started walking down the fluorescent lighted corridor towards the elevator.  While Poyraz pulled both of their luggages behind him, Haziran skipped ahead to continue her efforts at provocation.  Haziran was wearing a dark blouse over a wide flowered white skirt and high heeled shoes.  She made sure that her husband was looking at her as she walked ahead of him and swayed her hips suggestively from side to side.  Then she looked over her left shoulder, gave him a sultry look and tried to gauge his response.  He gave her a roguish grin that promised retribution. 

Haziran laughed out loud, looking forward to when they were alone in their room.  But, as she reached the elevator doors, her playful feelings faded.  Those elevator doors seem to mock her giddiness, daring her to walk through and face her painful memories.  Last time they had been trapped together in an elevator in Izmir, they did not reconcile as intended by Alper and Melisa.  Instead, they had lashed out their pain at each other.  Rather than asking for forgiveness, they had twisted the knife at each other's heart by showing their supposed indifference by deleting each other's pictures and ultimately their numbers from their phones.  Haziran had felt a grim satisfaction in seeing the wound she had inflicted on Poyraz with each stinging word and damaging action.  It was as if in her misery, she wanted to hurt everyone, especially Poyraz.  Her heart had been broken and she wanted the whole world to feel her agony.  Poyraz had reciprocated, giving as good as he got in exacting suffering.  In that mirrored elevator, there was no escaping the reflected slow death of their relationship.  Haziran could not wait to get out.  She ran away as soon as those elevator doors had opened.  As she took herself further and further from that elevator that still contained Poyraz, she had hardened her heart to cope with her devastation.  With each step, Haziran wished for her life back to the time before she knew Poyraz.  With each stride, she said goodbye to her dreams of a life with him. 

Haziran was now far away from that previous time in Izmir.  She was a new bride and her life was filled with incandescent joy.  She was no longer just aspiring to a life with Poyraz.  She was actually living the dream with him by her side.  They had been able to find each other again and face ensuing obstacles together.  They had discovered that not only could they not live without each other, but that they were stronger together.

So why this dread?  Before her was a very different elevator door,  one that has its top embellished by a Greco Roman design and it's entrance bracketed by stone.  It was nothing like the mirrored elevator of the past.  Yet, she hesitated at its entrance and Poyraz noticed her misgivings. 

Poyraz straightened the luggage.  His right hand then reached for her left, lightly holding it within his grasp.  He asked, "what's wrong Haziran?"

Haziran looked at his eyes, and gave uncertain look.  She said with a forced smile, "just bad memories."

Poyraz looked up at the elevator floor register as it ticked down the floor numbers.  His face then turned serious as he also remembered that awful event.  Then he looked at Haziran with a slight frown on his lips, but with concern on his eyes.  Then he said, "that was a very difficult time Haziran.  It is only having you here that has helped alleviate that memory."

Haziran nodded and said, "for me too."

When the elevator door opened, they both seemed unsure about going in.  Then, they both grabbed a bag and held each other's hand as they stepped through the doors.  They turned towards each other as the elevator's door began to close. Poyraz reached for Haziran, touching her face with both hands.  Simultaneously, Haziran placed one of her hands on Poyraz's chest while she wrapped another around his arm.  Haziran gripped Poyraz's arm tight, as if she needed to feel his strength holding her close.  She touched him by his heart, so that she could assure herself that he had never stopped loving her.  Poyraz seemed to also need affirmation of her presence within his arms, firmly gripping her face within his palms and slowly tracing her lips with his thumb.

They looked at each other's eyes, getting lost in the emotions of pain, forgiveness, and love that that were reflected.   Tentatively at first, their lips touched and they whispered their devotion for each other.  Then, they pulled each other closer, molding their frames and deepening their kiss, showing their passion together.  As they stood intertwined, all sorrow and regret they had associated with that steel box subsided.   Their love had shown through and the lightness had returned, washing away all hurts and healing all wounds.