Mood Swings and Midnight Cravings (aka plum and chocolate run)

Poyraz woke up with a start.  He did not know what disturbed his slumber.  Maybe it was the low hum of traffic outside his window.  Maybe it was the artificial lights from other buildings.  After three years of living in Istanbul, Poyraz was still not used to the city.

He could not wait to return to the Ada.  He was looking forward to the sounds of the waves lulling him again to sleep.

Poyraz stirred and did the first thing he always did when he woke up, he reached for Haziran.  But she was not curled up to his side as usual. In fact, the blanket on her side of the bed had been carelessly drawn down.  Poyraz looked around the room.  It was quiet and dark.  Haziran was not in sight. Poyraz was about to panic when he realized she must have gotten up to get something to eat.

They had found out four months ago that they were expecting their first child.  They were ecstatic and also somewhat scared. So, they sought advice from everyone they knew and read every book they could get to learn what to expect and to prepare.

Haziran had been wonderful.  Although she had the expected morning sickness and the turbulent mood swings, she had borne it all.  She also did not have the extremely irrational food cravings that he was warned about. What was unexpected for him was her constant need to eat late at night.  She told him that she was eating for two and she will eat when she was hungry.

So Poyraz got up and went searching for Haziran in the kitchen.  He expected to see her rummaging in the refrigerator or eating something on the dining table.  He did not expect to see her sitting on the couch with quiet tears rolling down her face.

Poyraz gathered her in his arms and asked, "What's the matter?  Are you okay?  Is the baby alright?"

Haziran looked up at him.  Her blue eyes welled up and her cheeks with streaks of tears.  Slightly hiccuping, she said "we ran out of erik and cikolata."

Poyraz could have kicked himself.  He could not believe that he forgot to make sure they had Haziran's favorite green plums and chocolates that she ate at all hours of the day.  He looked at the clock.  It was 11pm. Not a lot of groceries were still open at that time but he knew one that was open late and would have the needed chocolates and plums.

Poyraz held Haziran's face, kissed her on the forehead and wiped her tears.  He said, "don't worry, I will go get them."  Haziran stood up with him, her face now determined, "I am going with you, you never get the erik I like."  Poyraz tried not to grimace. The early plums that were as sour as lemons were Haziran's favorite.  He himself preferred the later ones that were sweeter, and tasted like crisp green apples.  Poyraz tried to convince Haziran to stay home and rest. But then she gave him that look with the pleading eyes that he could not resist.  Well, he really was incapable of denying her anything even in the best of times.

So they bundled up and got into his car.  They made the short drive to the store and Haziran picked up the green plums and chocolates that were to her liking.  She started digging into her prized package the minute they got back to the car.

She held a green plum in one hand and a chocolate bar in the other, alternating bites.  Poyraz could not help but smile as he glanced by the corner of his eye at his wife happily chewing away.  He then reached out and touched her rounded belly, feeling the life under his hand.

Haziran looked down at his hand and then at him.  She smiled and said, "thank you, now we are happy."  Poyraz felt joy envelop him.  In that car, in that moment, were the most precious beings in his life.  Poyraz felt the most fortunate of men.