Nothing Like You

Haziran was enjoying her first night out with her girlfriends Gulya, Asli and Kiraz since returning to Istanbul.  She had been away for about a year and still could not believe all the things that have happened since she had left.

She and her friends spent three hours catching up over dinner.  At first, Haziran had been nervous to see them. Aside from Biricik, they were her closest friends.  She thought that they would treat her differently. After all, she's not the same woman who left Istanbul a year ago. But, after the initial awkwardness, they found the old rhythm of their friendship and were able to laugh and talk as before.  Haziran was so happy to have rekindled these relationships. They were just about to leave when Haziran spotted someone that made her want to groan.

Sauntering to their table in her two sizes too small red satin dress, with the neckline leaving little to the imagination, was the beauteous Burcu.  Haziran did not know why Burcu had always disturbed her. Burcu was a beautiful woman, with long blonde hair, pouting red lips, high cheekbones and a sculpted nose that owed its perfection to a high end plastic surgery Burcu had when she was sixteen.

Although Haziran knew she was being catty, she could not help but compare Burcu to a hyena looking over its prey whenever her eyes fixed on Haziran. Must be the eyes.  Burcu had those dark calculating eyes that made one feel as if one had been weighed, measured and found wanting.

In her breathlessly sultry voice, Burcu said, "Haziran, why it is you!  I was not quite sure it was you when I saw you sitting here.  If it was not for these three, I would not have recognized you with those clothes!"  Haziran swallowed her sarcastic retort.

She did not want to ruin her night with her friends.  So she simply said, "Hello Burcu, what a surprise to see you." Burcu gave a tinkling laugh and waved her left hand on Haziran's face.  Haziran could see that Burcu had an obscenely large diamond ring the size of a robin's egg.

"Congratulate me, I just got engaged to the perfect man!"  Burcu moved a little to the left to reveal a man standing behind her.  He was slightly built and just a bit taller than Burcu who was about 5 foot 5 with her heels. He had a pleasant bespectacled face and short beard.  While Haziran was looking at him, Burcu was going on and on about her fiancé's business interests and connections. Haziran could see the fiancé's discomfort so she interrupted Burcu saying "Congratulations! So happy for both of you!"

Burcu then narrowed her eyes at Haziran and said, "I heard congratulations are in order for you too.  Someone told me that you had married some sort of farmer or country bumpkin you met at some island."

Haziran felt her hackles rise and she was sorely tempted to smack Burcu's perfectly sculpted nose and see it swell.  But, as she was about to say something she knew she was going to regret, Poyraz walked into the restaurant.

Poyraz was wearing a dark shirt with gray slacks and a black leather jacket.  His hair, cut shorter for easier care, was slightly tousled by the wind.  He looked less of a farmer and more of a bad boy biker out of women's fantasies. No bumpkin anywhere in sight!

Poyraz smiled as he saw her and walked over to their table.  He kissed Haziran's cheek and said a friendly hello to her friends.  Haziran turned her eyes from Poyraz to introduce him to Burcu and her fiancé. She noticed that Burcu was examining Poyraz like a particularly delectable dessert. Poyraz on the other hand was quite oblivious to Burcu's heated perusal.  Haziran made a quick introduction wanting to pull Poyraz immediately away from Burcu.

She did not want to admit that she was a bit jealous.  After all, Poyraz has not been exposed to women like Burcu.  Haziran was afraid of what his reaction would be particularly to Burcu's suggestive invitation for them to get to know each other.

So Haziran all about ran pulling Poyraz as she hurried out of the restaurant.  When they had walked about two blocks away, Poyraz tugged at her hand, giving her a puzzled look.  He asked her "What's going on?  Are you alright?"

Haziran took a deep breath and asked him, "What did you think of Burcu?"  Poyraz answered, "Who?  Oh, your engaged friend?  What about her?"  Haziran huffed, "Did you think she's beautiful?"

Poyraz looked at her, his lips turning up to a slight smile.  Haziran could see that he knew exactly what was going on and what she was thinking.

He said, "she's nice I suppose, but she's got nothing on you.  She doesn't have your beautiful eyes, your beautiful smile and your beautiful soul."  Haziran smiled blissfully, especially since Poyraz punctuated each phrase with a kiss.

But as they started walking again, Poyraz laughed and teasingly said, "but I do like to see that little vein on your forehead  pop when you get jealous!  Makes you look so fierce."

Haziran pinched his side and glared at him. Poyraz just laughed again, put his hand on her waist and pulled her close to him.  They walked away together, secure in each other's love.