Big Crush

It was a chilly afternoon in Istanbul when Haziran decided to ride her bike to get away from her mother.  She needed a breather from her mother's constant nagging about her meeting some nice boy and getting married. She was 28 and her mother was of the belief that she was firmly on the shelf and her uterus and eggs were slowly moldering.  In desperation and in fear of never seeing grandchildren in her lifetime, Haziran's mother had decided to match make for Haziran and been trying to set her up on never ending dates.

Haziran put on her black and white jacket, leggings and black hat, and just about jumped on her bike to speed away from her mother.  She was enjoying her bike ride and the cool breeze on her face when she spotted the reason for her lack of interest in any other man.

There, in front of her, looking impossibly dark and smolderingly handsome was her secret crush, Poyraz.

Well, not so secret really because all their friends knew that she had a crush on him.  It was only Poyraz who did not know that Haziran had been secretly pining for him all these years.

Haziran and Poyraz, with their friends Biricik, Melisa and Alper worked in the same hotel. Ever since she saw Poyraz taking down an old wall on the hotel grounds, muscles bulging as he swung an ax and chest glistening with sweat, Haziran had been secretly sighing over his looks. When they became friends and she got to know him, the physical admiration turned into a full fledged infatuation.

Haziran was so intently watching Poyraz and trying to figure out who this woman was that he was talking to, that she did not see that the pavement had made a turn and she now had a tree in front of her.  She saw the obstruction in the last second and tried to avoid it.

Although she managed to swerve to avoid a head-long collision, the right side of her body still made contact and she fell in a heap in front of the tree.

She suddenly felt arms go around her and lift her up.  When she looked up, she realized that Poyraz had picked her up from the ground.  He said, "Haziran are you alright?"

Haziran was so embarrassed, but she was also enjoying the fact that she finally had Poyraz's arms around her.  If she had known that this was the key to having him hold her against him and her being able to touch him, she would have fallen a lot sooner!

"I'm alright," Haziran said.  "My pride is the only thing hurt."

Poyraz looked at her with concern.  Then he carefully tucked the hair that had fallen on her face behind her ear.  He said in a soft voice, "I would never want you to get hurt."

Poyraz then traced her eyebrows, her cheeks, and finally her lips.  Haziran closed her eyes to the warm sensation of feeling his fingers slowly touching her face.  Then she felt a whisper of a kiss on her lips. When she opened her eyes, Haziran saw Poyraz intently looking at her, his eyes dark and filled with something she could not name.

Then, he smiled sheepishly, shyly saying, "did I ever tell you that I have the biggest crush on you?  I think everyone at the hotel knows.  Even Sara the temporary chef knows."

Haziran's eyes goggled at Poyraz's confession. Plus, she realized that the woman Poyraz was talking to was the temporary chef at the hotel who came in while the regular chef was on vacation.

Now realizing her continued silence was probably making Poyraz uncomfortable, she said in a shaky voice, "I've had the biggest crush on you too!"

They looked at each other and laughed at their mutual confession.  At least now, their friends would be released from putting up with them circling each other in a never ending loop.

Haziran eventually introduced Poyraz to her mother as her boyfriend.  She had hoped that this would stop her mother from her obsession of finding a man for her.

She did not realize that it would just lead to her mother's next fixation, imagining what her grandchildren would look like.