Chapter 64: Modern Day Life Lesson Forty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Hm, I'm definitely going for arts, that's for sure. But there're quite a few excellent other programs in the universities I applied to, so I'm still deciding what programs I want to go for in the end." He said, raising both his eyebrows alternatingly. "Yeah, that's something I need to figure out with the next few consultations." He said, and then all three of them looked back to Subaru. "Na, Natsuki, for you it's gap year first, right? And whether or not you go to university, you'll end up in Finland, right?" Haruka asked, and there was a small pause before Subaru nodded.

"...Yeah, that's right." He said slowly, nodding. Pausing again, Subaru was thinking rapidly, and a few more seconds later, he beckoned the three to come closer. They did so and formed a small circle. Subaru put his hand by his mouth and spoke in a whisper. "The thing is, Emilia-tan and the others might, well, go back once this semester is over. No keep it down!!" Subaru hissed the last bit as Hinata let out a yelp of surprise and sprang to his feet. "I know it's shocking, but it seems that their family wants them back by summer." Subaru said, pulling Hinata back down.

Technically, Subaru wasn't lying, as Roswaal did say that he might be able to find a way to steady the connection and form a way back to Lugnica, and from their estimation, that time might happen as soon as this summer. And the reason why Subaru said so was to help the three construct a better mental preparation. Hinata, Aki, and Haruka were the closest to the girls beside Subaru, and letting them know that the soonest time that they might be gone would be better to help them adjust when the inevitable goodbye came.

"...So, if they really left this summer, you'll go back along with them, is that correct?" Haruka asked in a whisper, and Subaru nodded. "Yes, I'll have to go with them no matter what. They're the reason why I continue to fight my way through life." He said firmly. "Not saying you're someone unimportant though. You mean a great deal to me, it's just that... the girls, especially Emilia and Rem... they've saved my life countless times." Subaru said, and, hearing the confidence about the girls from Subaru for the first time, the three let out a small sigh.

They then exchanged looks that told Subaru that they were having a silent conversation, and with a nod, they looked back to Subaru. "If that's what you decided, and if that's determined by yourself, we'll say go for it." Hinata said solemnly, looking Subaru in the eyes. "Yeah, if they're who made you find the reason to live on, then I'd say that's a good enough reason for us too." Haruka said with a small smile. "Yeah, these two basically said what I wanna say. Plus, once you got there, you can be our reason to visit Finland. Or we'd probably never get the chance to go to Europe." Aki said, and they all chuckled.

"If only that really happens..." Subaru thought sadly. "Alright then, with that cleared, we go back to you, Subaru. Your thoughts about your future?" Hinata said, and Subaru nodded. "Yeah, I think I've got it figured out after talking with you. University might not be the place where I would end up anytime soon." He said, and the three nodded in agreement. "You'll probably gain more useful skills outside school if what awaits you is, what was your job the family gave you again?" Aki said. "Some sort of family assistance I'd say. It really isn't just one single thing I do as a worker there." Subaru answered. "Well then, if that's what you're gonna do in the future, you'd probably want to experience more of the society as much as possible." Haruka said, holding her chin with her hand.

"I've already had plenty of those to be honest... haha, but a bit more would definitely help." Subaru said, forcing a smile as he remembered all the 'good old memories' in Lugnica. There was another small silence. "So the soonest you'll be gone is by summer, is it..." Hinata said, his voice trailing away, and the four all pulled themselves away from the circle they formed, looking up at the ceiling. "Sou nanoyo, as of now, that is our family's decision, Betty supposes." Beatrice's voice said suddenly, making all four of them jump out their seats in fright.