Unlikely Allies

Chapter 26

Four months had passed since Gwen's passing. Four months of the most intense training Camp Jupiter had seen since the American Civil War. The legion was in constant blood lust awaiting battle, and with Percy leading the Praetorian Guard to victory after victory against Monster War Bands the twelfth was ready for a fight. With each victory the guard brought back no casualties and dozens of monster trophies that they burned at the Temple of Mars Ultor in tribute.

The Guard was treated like royalty in New Rome, and even in the legion. People offered their services left, right, and center to do anything for the group of ten demigods that were single handedly laying waste to the Titan army. Percy knew within the next nine months he would lead a siege on Mount Othrys with the help of the Praetors, and he counted the days until the moment was upon him.

Lady Diana had surprised him with a visit in Mid December, and Lady Lupa escorted her right into the Guards training area where Percy had been observing a fight between Bianca and Reyna. The two girls always fought their hardest against each other, and since that day Reyna used her powers against the daughter of Pluto a new found respect had been established between the two.

At first Percy had not noticed the goddesses arrival as he kept his eyes locked on the two females making short note comments to Jason, and Mark who were both watching in concentration looking for areas to help them improve. When Bianca disarmed the girl Reyna huffed in frustration and clapping echoed across the area as all eyes went towards a young woman dressed in light silver armor that seemed to dazzle with power, "Well done young maidens. You would both make fine huntresses."

Reyna and Bianca both looked at Lupa in confusion while the goddess gave them a sharp toothy smile, "ATTENTION."

All eleven demigods snapped to attention while Diana began taking a look at the other two females, "An impressive gathered group." The woman turned to face Percy, "You have done well assembling such a powerful force together, Perseus Jackson."

Percy bowed to the goddess not quite understanding yet who was before him. Thankfully Lupa finally took mercy upon the group, "Praetorian Guard. This is the Lady Diana from Olympus. She has needs of Captain Jackson's time. You all will continue your training, and he will return shortly."

Silence answered the announcement, but Percy locked eyes with Diana who had a slight smirk tugging on her lips. Diana was infamous for her dislike towards men, but she had not been hostile towards him on his last visit to Olympus if he remembered correctly.

The goddess began retreating from the arena without a word, and Percy followed her with the eyes of everyone on him. When they made it outside of the coliseum Diana continued her walk towards the Tiber, and Percy followed silently knowing when the goddess wanted him to speak she would address him.

When they reached the water she stared at the river curiously, and began inspecting it, "Tell me Perseus Jackson have you seen any unusual water creatures in the Tiber recently?"

Percy frowned at her question, "Unusual my lady?"

"Don't make me repeat myself Captain Jackson." Diana said sternly.

The young man swallowed hard, "Nothing out of the ordinary my lady. Sea Monsters don't make it to the Little Tiber here in New Rome, and the only other things I see are an occasional water spirit."

The goddess nodded her head, "I had believed it would appear to you as a child of the seas, but perhaps I was mistaken."

Percy wanted to question her, but merely said, "I will make a sacrifice to you if I notice anything strange Lady Diana. That way you can come and investigate. Is there anything you can tell me about the particular creature you are in search of that might help?"