CHAPTER 5: SCREAM

Zeliker curled his lips when Gizelis cleaned his wound with alcohol. It stings him hard like a poison. His body shook with sweat as he panted heavily. He has long forgotten the pain since the last time. And, he would have never thought after two years of living in Flink without doing anything would weaken his pain resistance. He. Really. Needs. More. Exercise!

I can't believe he restrains himself from fainting.

Gizelis felt admiration towards Zeliker without knowing Zeliker's internal complicated feelings.

"Enough Zeliker, let your body rest," Gizelis told Zeliker.

Zeliker had to agree. He needs to rest and his body begs him too. He already felt some dizziness and was unwell. His sight also seems to turn darker and darker. At least Gizelis won't hurt him during his sleep since Gizelis didn't hurt him after he fainted either.

In his own home, if he was only taking a few minutes of nap, some demon would ambush or assault him. It was a training lesson from his father to make sure he was ready to battle every time he went to sleep. 

An exercise of awareness, that is what Silvert called it. 

Bullshit! Why can’t anyone let him sleep in peace?!

Now, here in Eskimos, no one would disturb him. It was a big relief to be brought here. So, he lay down on his uninjured side on the ready-made infirmary bed. Then, closed his eyes as he let his consciousness fade.

Riseptos appear after he went to get more bandages and clean cloth for Zeliker.

"I never saw him abuse himself so much until today," Riseptos gave Gizelis the materials.

"Abuse? Don't you mean he’s hurting himself?" Gizelis was confused.

Riseptos give a sad smile. 

"Zeliker actually has a lower tolerance of pain than any other royal demons. When he was young, a small fall had already damaged his skin. You know all royal demons have hard skin after they are born. Zeliker doesn't have this gift. Moreover, his emotion is easily seen if he was injured. That's why he had trained to be emotionless… but not inside. Do you understand what I mean? Doesn't this show that he also likes to abuse himself?"

Gizelis finally understood. He felt terrible when he remembered he hurt Zeliker before. No wonder even a short blade can cut deep. It would have been impossible but he didn't even try to think clearly back then.

How much pain did he hold back at that time without allowing himself to shout out? Oh my god! I truly am evil!

Gizelis's eyes went red while looking at Zeliker in guilt and grief.

"Don't blame yourself, Gizelis. Zeliker is normally like this when I am around that time too. Until now, I finally found out how much he abuses himself just because he wants to hold his pride as a demon prince."

"Are all royal demons like this too? It's so awful..."

"Probably..." Riseptos shrugged. “Since they were born as one, they need to carry their responsibility as demon royalty. Zeliker might be an unlucky one to be born in it… He probably has suffered a lot since he was born.”

Gizelis nodded in agreement. He also realised something more about Zeliker.

"And Hoogles... If Zeliker is a true royal demon, he would have killed Hoogles or beat Hoogles showing he is stronger than him. And Zeliker did none of it. Zeliker really does hide his true heart from everyone. Only through his action, we can see the real him. You realize he protects me from getting killed by Hoogles, right? There's more to him than meets the eye."