29

⚠️  Trigger Warning! This whole chapter can be VERY triggering. Proceed with caution! ⚠️

Star was crouched, clutching her backpack straps and peering around the bush she was hiding behind, anxiously staring out at the busy sidewalk full of pedestrians. I am not going to get caught again. I am not going back there. It's awful there.

"Look there's the kid!"

Oh no. Star stood up and ran into the street, barely noticing the fact that she almost ran into several strangers as she weaved in and out trying to get away from the police who were chasing her for the fifth time this week.

"Damn kid! Stop running!"

Star's heart pounded in her ears, her legs burned and her lungs felt like they were going to explode. I can't let them catch me! She clutched her backpack straps tighter and put her head down, a new wave of energy washing over her.

All of the sudden, Star felt her head collide with something large and soft. She fell to the ground and scrambled backwards, not daring to see what she had crashed into. When she ran out of space, she drew her knees to her chest before glancing up at a police officer who held his hand out to help the child stand up.

"Come on, it's okay. You don't have to be scared. I'm not going to hurt you" He coaxed, crouching down to Star's level.

I'm not scared. I don't need your help. You are going to make me go back! I don't want to go back! Star stood up and roughly brushed the officer's hand away before breaking into a run but felt something holding her back. No! He grabbed onto my backpack! Greenie and Blankie are in there! I can't let him keep them!

"Settle down kid, it's going to be okay." The officer tried again, pulling the child into an embrace.

Star felt herself being squished up against his big soft belly feeling comforted for a split second before she remembered what would happen next. NO!

The officer glanced down and chuckled, laughing at the tiny girl who was struggling with all her might to get free while he held her still by holding her still with the palm of his large bear paw sized hand. "You'll be okay. Come on."

Star pitifully dug her heels and pulled back as hard as she could while the police officer dragged her to the car before picking her up and tossing her in the back seat with so much ease it was as if she was a feather. Not again! I don't want to go back!

"Okay kid." The police officer groaned, hoisting himself into his seat, the car moving slightly at the sudden weight. "What will it be.. Disney songs? My girls at home love Disney. Are you a Disney girl too? Well I guess we will have to find out!"

Star bit her lip and pulled her knees to her chest, swallowing hard and trying to quell the smoldering hatred that pulsed through her veins. Without even thinking she took her fist and banged it into the window before instantly regretting her decision as her knuckles ached at the sudden impact. After driving for several minutes, Star began to recognize the streets again. Rage bubbled up inside of her once more. "I HATE YOU!" She shouted, thrusting her heels into the officer's seat. "I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!"

"Did anyone ever tell you, more love less hate" The officer chuckled, the pummeling of the seat feeling more like a massage than an annoyance. "We are going on a little field trip to the station"

Sweaty and breathless, Star paused to get some air, she could feel her heart pounding in her ears, white hot anger subsiding as she glared at the back of the seat wishing she could burn a hole through it with her gaze. Just like Supergirl.

The officer parked the car and got out, stretching his arms up into the air. "Oh that feels good." He opened the door and quickly grabbed onto Star's arm before she could run off. "You're stuck with me kid at least until I hand you off. Gotta go feed the beast" he guffawed, patting his large round stomach before marching into the precinct.