chapter twenty

Indeed. There are certain events that could probably pass as a coincidence but sometimes people treat as destiny. They treat it as destiny because their intuition tells them that this was meant to happen and well, what's wrong in believing that this is indeed destiny?

"Winter, are you zoning out again?" Karina chuckles as she asks that question. Winter snapped back to reality when she heard that melodic laughter from Karina. She has been zoning out for how many times already and luckily, Karina doesn't really mind it. "Why are you always so great on timing?" Winter asks and lets out a small laugh.

They were at Winter's apartment, with beers around them and Chinese take outs. Typical things they do back then. When the two met earlier, both of them knew that there were things they had to talk about in a much private place. After they ate lunch and roamed the city, they decided to have fun at Minjeong's apartment which was a really great idea. Karina needed some time away and Minjeong needed a friend. Great timing saves both of them.

Both of them were at the floor, laughing, giggling,a little bit intoxicated and talking about stuffs. Giselle, specifically.

"You think she's happy up there?" Karina asks as she drinks a glass of beer that has been laying down on the floor for quite some time now. Winter who was laying down, feeling the coldness of the floor replied, "Yeah. I think that's everything she wanted."

Karina then flashes a small smile. "I still remember her in everything I come across to. Heck. I remembered her when I was reading a political book and it's funny because I know Giselle would be disgusted that I relate her to a political book." The older laughs. Memories of Giselle still freshly roaming around her head. It actually hurts.

"I try so hard to not to remember her." Winter starts, "each time I see a tteokbokki, I try so hard to not imagine Giselle eating on it because it would break me, honestly." She adds and chuckles lightly. "I guess we're different when it comes to coping, huh?"

"Yeah." Karina responds, still with a smile on her face.

Karina looked outside Winter's apartment and she saw how the city looked beautiful at night. She wanted to stay at the terrace and just admire it for hours. "Hey, Min?" She says, "Hmm?" Replies the younger. "Let's stay at the terrace."

Winter raises her head, stands up, looks at her and shooks her head. "I have a better idea."

City lights and cars honking their way out of traffic were two things that greeted them when they sat at the rooftop. Winter got out a cigarette but quickly remembered that Karina was with her so she put it moved it away from her mouth.

"Ah, this feels fresh." Karina says, admiring the view. "Just like old times, huh?" Winter smiles and nods silently. "It's just a bit more polluted." Both of them share a laugh and quickly falls back to silence again. Wintry forms of air brushing past their skin and city people were few things that made sound at that moment.

Karina looked above and saw how the skies were illuminated by stars that shone upon them. It was a pretty sight to see. She could feel nostalgia rushing in her body, both good and bad.

"You're brighter than all the stars."

The older slowly turned her head to look at Winter who was staring at her, perfectly capturing each feature of Karina and warm heat started to creep upon the older's face. She was sure as hell that she was blushing.

Winter chuckled at the sight. Karina looked really cute when she's flustered. This was a scene that always stayed in her heart. "Hey, blushing mess," She teased and Karina's cheeks glowed redder which made the younger laugh even more.

"I want to apologize."

She says in a heavy tone, hesitating whether this was the right time or not and at the same thinking, it was now or never. Karina was silent and her eyes were anticipating for the next words. "I apologize for everything I've done for cheating, for hurting you, for everything, Karina. I'm sorry. I'm such a jerk." She pauses then sighs.