"You're welcome, Dean Winchester." They both smiled at each other, and then Dean's car began to roar.

When Dean and Karina were talking with a professor, she was stunned by their help on the topic. They were walking down the stairs, "It's not every day, I get questions about Pagan ideology."

"Yeah, well, call it a hobby."

"But you two were interested in local lore?"

Karina answered, "Yes."

"I'm afraid Indiana isn't really known for its Pagan worship."

Karian asked, "What if it was imported? When the pilgrims brought their religion over. This area was settled with immigrants, correct? Like that town near here, Burkittsville--where are their ancestors from?"

"Northern Europe, I believe. Scandinavia."

Dean asked, "What could you tell us about those Pagan Gods?"

"Well, there are hundreds of Norse gods and goddesses."

"We're actually looking for one-- might live in an orchard."

When the professor guided them into his office, he grabbed a book from his shelf. He laid it on the desk to show to both of them. He grabs his glasses, looking through the pages, "Woods god. Let's see..."

When he sorted through the pages, the drawings were unfamiliar to both of them, until he turned on the page. There was a drawing picture of the scarecrow, just like the orchard. Dean stopped him and asked what the page read.

"That's not a Woods god, per se."

Karina read over the page, "Vanir were Norse gods of protection and prosperity, keeping the local settlements safe from harm. Villages built effigies of the Vanir in their fields. Other villages practiced human sacrifice, one male and one female."

Dean pointed out the picture of the scarecrow, he turned to the professor, "It kinda looks like the scarecrow, huh?"

"Well, I suppose."

Karina continued reading, "This particular Vanir, its energy sprung from a sacred tree'?"

"Pagans believed all sorts of things were infused with magic."

Dean asked, "So, what would happen if the sacred tree was torched? Do you think it could kill the god?"

He chuckled, "Son, these are just legends we're discussing here."

Karina looked at Dean as he continued, "Oh, of course. Yeah, you're right."

Dean shared a look with Karina and then offered his hand to the professor. "Listen, thank you very much."

He shook Dean's hand, "Glad I could help." Karina nodded in gratitude to him, and then they both were leaving the room.

As Dean opened the door, it revealed the sheriff holding the end of the rifle. He knocked Dean out in the cold. Karina was reaching for her knife in her jacket, but he was quick. He knocked her out too. Now they're both the next couple to finish the ritual.

***

When Dean was trying to wake Karina up, she slowly woke up and saw Dean's face, concerned about her. He asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." She put her hand on her head, groaning in pain. She looked around, and then she looked at Dean, "We're next, huh?"

Dean nodded, "Yeah, I shouldn't introduce you as Pat Philips in the first place." Karina rolled her eyes, and he pulled her up to stand.