Popping the Question

Start from the beginning

This family must have superpowers or something. The Hurley's were a family that knew how people felt about their family members and were quick to speak their minds.

 The Hurley's were a family that knew how people felt about their family members and were quick to speak their minds

"Because, JJ, it's Kat you're talking about. Even when she brings a new friend to these, we always talk about her giving up the Marines." Mama Hurley replied, walking up, knowing her daughter the best, "but unlike everyone else, you're the one that can make Kat realize that it's okay to follow her heart. No matter what, we'll always be worried about Kat. She's the only girl Johnny, and I have."

"Since I have all of you here, can I get your permission to ask Kat to marry me?" I asked when her whole immediate family was around me, knowing now was the best time to ask.

"I know Marshall and Jacob approve of you. You have my permission as well," Mama Hurley smiled, making my heart warm at her response.

"Son, you have my permission as well, but you'll want to take Rae with you to pick out a ring" Johnny smiled, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Who's Rae? I know Kat's mentioned her before, but I've never seen her," I questioned.

"The brunette that just walked in," Jacob replied, nodding at the beautiful woman that walked in.

"Rae!" Marshall called to catch her attention.

"Hey!" She smiled when she got over to our group.

"Rae, this is JJ, Kat's boyfriend. JJ, this is Rae, Kat's best friend," Marshall introduced.

"Kat told me about you after you two first met, I didn't think she was serious, but when she sent me a picture of y'all on your first date, I knew she couldn't be lying" Rae smiled, shaking my hand.

"She's told me a lot about you as well. However, I was expecting..." I searched for the right word.

"Taller and more intimidating?" She smirked.

"Yeah, pretty much," I laughed.

"Based on the way Mama, Papa, Jacob, and Marshall are staring at me, you have something to ask of me, don't you?" Rae smirked.

"Yeah, well, you see, I want to ask Kat to marry me, but I need your help picking a ring," I blurted.

"This actually isn't the first time one of her boyfriends has asked for my help picking out a ring, but yes, I will help you," Rae agreed.

"I forgot that Dom was going to ask her to marry him before they graduated, well that is until she broke up with him," Jacob commented.

"So, I'm not the first?" I questioned.

"Yes, but the first wasn't right for her. Dom wanted her to be something she wasn't," Pa clarified, "He wanted her to follow him across the country and be his little housewife. At the same time, he brought home the bacon."