Metting for the first time

It was the morning of the first day of school and, as always, I wanted to stall as long as I could. School had started to become a burden to me. My mom expected straight A's and my teachers always assigned tons of homework for me to do. But even though I hated school, it took me away from home, which I was grateful for. It took me away from my mom and step-dad who never seemed to care about me now that their new baby was here. I didn't hate Adrienne, she didn't mean to hurt me, but sometimes I wished mom cared about me more than my grades like before, and I wished she never met Thomas because all he seemed to care about was making life a living hell for me.

        "Jules, are you awake?" my mother yelled from down stairs, "School starts in thirty minutes and Tom has to drop you off before work."

        Ugh, I'd rather walk. All he ever does is try to pick a fight with me.

        "I'm up!" I yelled. I didn't want to go with Tom but my mom wanted us to get along, I tried but I'm not sure if he ever did. I slowly got up and tossed on a pair of jeans, a grey hoodie, and some black converse. I grabbed my backpack and threw it on my bed, packing everything my mom told me to pack the night before.

        I tossed my backpack onto my back and went downstairs to see what I could grab to eat.
       "Good morning Adrienne" I said to my sister as she threw her banana slices on the floor.

       "Julie, why do you take so long to get dressed? It's not like you look any better, in fact you look like you didn't even try." Tom said as he picked up the food Adrienne had thrown.

       "My name is Juliana, Thomas. And good morning to you." I said as I rolled my eyes and grabbed a banana for myself.
       "Oh Jules, be nice. Julie is a cute name and plus it's like his personal nickname." my mom replied, "And he's right, you don't seem to do anything but waste time."

       I stared at my mom for a minute not being able to comprehend how she could agree with him. She was the one who told me to "take life slow" and "wear what you want because it's your body." I also couldn't get over the fact that she said it was "his personal nickname" as if she had just magically forgotten that I hated that nickname because that was what dad used to call me, before he left. Don't get me wrong I don't hate anyone named Julie or the name itself really, I hated when I was called it, especially by Tom.

       "Can we go?" I asked as I fidgeted with my banana avoiding eye contact with both of them, not wanting them to know their small remarks bothered me.
       "Ugh. Fine Juliana." Tom groaned, "We can never have peaceful morning because you always have to get upset." he said as he kissed Adrienne's head and said goodbye to my mother.

      I tried my hardest not to scoff as a small frown formed on my face and I walked out of the house without saying goodbye.
      "Of course. It's always MY fault. Sorry I can't help but be in the way and ruin every morning." I thought to my self as I got into the car and slammed the door. I stared out the window and saw my neighbor with his two daughters as he gave them kisses and hugs before going to work. I felt my face start to get red and hot with jealousy and my eyes became blurry.

      "Julie, can you not today." Tom said as he got in the car and started driving me to school. "God, your mom is always saying how good of a kid you are but since I've met you all you do is cause unwanted negativity and problems. I don't know why you can't be happy for once. You never smile around us and..."