XXXIX • Anxietudo

XXXIX Anxietudo • Worry

"Behind the curtain," Madam Pomfrey said as I entered the hospital wing, not waiting for me to say anything.

"Thanks," I said and smiled. I carefully pushed through the curtain and saw Remus asleep in one of the cots, his face completely relaxed. It was one of my favorite things; to see him sleeping. He always looked so calm, closer to his age.

I pulled a chair up beside his bed and dropped my bag at my feet, drawing out one of my Latin books. I read through it silently, making mental notes to myself as I read.

It was one of my favorite epics, Metamorphoses by Ovid. One of his best works by far, it was an impressive collection of works that spanned all of the history that existed at Ovid's time and a diverse array of mythology.

"Hey," Remus mumbled from beside me after I had been reading for about twenty minutes. "How long have you been here?"

"Not long," I said and marked my place in the book, tucking it into my bag. "How are you?"

"Good," he said and offered a smile.

"Hm. You're sore?"

"Eh, no," he said.

"I can tell you are," I said and tutted. "You haven't even sat up."

"I don't like how well you can read me," he said and chuckled airily.

"I brought you some chocolate," I said. "Should I get Madam Pomfrey?"

"No, no," he said and shook his head. "I'm fine, thank you. How was your lesson on Friday?"

"It was good," I said, unable to fight off the smile that was growing on my face. "I really enjoyed teaching it and I think the kids liked it well enough. I dramatized the whole thing to get them interested, so they think it's a secret from you."

Remus smiled, attempting to sit up with a quiet grunt.

"Careful," I said and stood up, setting my hand on his back as he moved. I adjusted his pillows behind him so that he wouldn't have to hold himself up.

"I'm fine," he insisted and waved me away. I ignored him and made sure that he was comfortable before taking my seat.

"You're making me worried. Are you sure you don't need Madam Pomfrey?"

"I'm sure," he said. "I assure you, I've been much worse. Since the full moon came so early, I was transformed for a while, that's all," he explained.

I frowned. "I'm getting Madam Pomfrey," I decided and stood, halting when he caught my arm.

"No, stay here with me," he said.

"Remus."

"I don't need her, I promise," he said, tugging my arm gently.

"If I hear you make one more sound like you're hurting, I'm going," I said and let him pull me back into my seat.

"You worry too much," he said.

"You worry me too much," I responded and shook my head.

"I want to hear more about your lesson," he said. "What did you decide on?"

"I taught them the definition of etymology by giving them the etymology of etymology," I said. Remus furrowed his eyebrows. "They were confused, but I think they caught on. I gave them the spells you asked me to go over, and for homework, I had them find the etymology of their names and write about it. It's due on Thursday."

"That's a long time," he said.

"It's hard information to find," I said and shrugged. "I told them that Professor Baker has a baby book that they could use, but other than that, it'll be difficult to find the sources."