III • Dulcis

III • Dulcis • Sweet

"And our final stop. This," Lupin said, coming to a stop at the crest of a flight of stairs, "is the Astronomy Tower."

I climbed behind him, slightly out of breath.

"Wow," I said and approached the railing. "This is beautiful. Is it okay if I sit here for a moment?"

"Go ahead. It's arguably the best view you can get in the castle," he said with an appreciative nod. "I used to come up here when I was in school."

"How was it? Going to school here, I mean?" I said, sitting down on the ground and slipping my legs underneath the bar that lined the edge of the tower. I sighed in bliss, taking in the view of the rolling mountains that stretched out from beneath the castle.

"It was nice," he said slowly, coming to sit beside me with a quiet grunt as he settled. "I suppose it always felt too good to be true."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I guess when you're a wizard in the muggle world, you always feel a bit ostracized, but coming here and making friends was something that really made a difference in my life," he said. "It's a very unique experience, to go from a place where you're the outcast to a place where you can finally fit in. For the most part, anyway."

"That's understandable."

"What about you? How was Ilvermorny?"

"It definitely had its charms," I said, resting my chin on one of the lower bars. "It was a bit place I could go to get away from everything."

Lupin nodded, glancing over at me quickly before looking back through the bars.

"And how are you liking it here?"

"It feels too good to be true, as you said. Being here, getting to do what I love, and working with you," I trailed off with a shrug.

"I believe it may be a bit early to start raining down praises," he said with a chuckle, climbing to his feet.

"Why?"

"Well, I have some news. I'm going to be out for the beginning of next month and I'll need you to cover for me," he said, approaching the stairs.

"Really?" I asked, clumsily clambering to my feet to follow after him.

"Really."

"Do you have lesson plans made up?"

"I haven't really thought that far ahead yet," he said, beginning to descend the stairs. "I figured we could work together when the time came. After all, we're only a day into classes. I don't know where we'll be in the curriculum by then."

"I suppose that's true," I said, following closely behind him. "Why are you going to be out?"

"Personal reasons," he said, looking over his shoulder to deliver an impassive stare.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to overstep," I said, averting my eyes from his.

"Don't apologize," he said, shaking his head. "It should only be for a couple of days at most. Unless, of course, you're not comfortable teaching, in which case Professor Snape could fill in."

"Oh, I would never do that to the children," I said.

"Miss Y/L/N, did you just make a rude comment about one of our colleagues?" he asked, looking over his shoulder with a disbelieving look.

"No," I corrected quickly, looking down at my feet, feeling my cheeks heat up. "I only meant-"

"That's not professional," he said and shook his head.

"No, it wasn't meant to be a rude comment. I just meant that it would be better for the students to have someone that they're used to in the class," I said quickly.

"I was only teasing," he said and laughed. He looked at me over his shoulder. I looked away from him, hoping he couldn't see my embarrassment. "You're a bit shy, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not," I said. "I'm really not at all."

"Aren't you?" he asked with a grin.

I opened my mouth to respond but decided not to, feeling even more embarrassed as we reached the bottom of the staircase.

"Don't get me wrong, Miss Y/L/N, I appreciate a joke at Professor Snape's expense more than anyone, but I didn't expect one to come from you."

"Why not?"

"Well, look at yourself," he said and shrugged. "You're just too sweet."

"No, I'm not," I said, speeding up to walk beside him.

"I think you are," he said.

"Well, I'm not."

"Are you quite sure, Miss Pukwudgie?" he asked and smiled. "The house of the heart and those who nurture."

"Well, I... I don't think that's fair to say," I stammered. "I really don't."

"Are you following me, Miss Y/L/N?" he asked, stopping outside of his classroom and turning to me. I almost ran into him, taking a quick step back. Suddenly, I felt tiny before him, noticing how tall he really was. His head was mere inches below the top of the doorframe he stood before. His eyes were dancing with mischief, my cheeks warm from mortification.

"What? No. Well, yes, but-"

"I intend to go to bed," he said leaning down slightly, his voice low, "and while I do like you, I'm not sure I'm ready to invite you inside quite yet."

I stared at him with wide eyes, at a loss for words.

"Goodnight, Miss Y/L/N," he said with a teasing smile, stepping into his classroom and leaving me in the hallway.

I puffed my cheeks out and quickly turned away from his classroom to return to my room. My mind was reeling. With warm cheeks, I realized that Professor Lupin had been teasing me purposely. I had thought that he was too refined to do so, but I had obviously been wrong.

"Merlin," I muttered to myself and shook my head as I walked. What was wrong with me? Why had I allowed him to have such an effect on me? That was why he was teasing me so much; because I reacted to it so obviously. I cursed myself as I shut myself in my room, throwing myself on my bed. I hated to be treated like I couldn't ever do any wrong.

It wasn't that I wanted to do wrong, not at all, but I didn't like when people thought that I was unable to be anything but a goody-two-shoes. After all, I was completely capable of doing whatever I wanted and defending myself. Or at least, I was until Professor Lupin was around.

And what was that about, exactly? When was the last time I let a boy rile me up for their own amusement? Merlin, it was humiliating! But he was wrong about me. I was capable of making jokes at others' expenses, and worse. Just because I chose not to didn't mean anything.

It honestly didn't.

Hi friends. I hope y'all are having a good day.

How did you like the chapter? It's a little short, I know!!!