XI • Mulsum

XI • Mulsum • Mead

October 31; Halloween

I looked around Hogsmeade, searching for my brother. He had agreed to meet me here on one of his days off, and I was eager to see him again. I spotted him in the crowd of students and rushed over to him.

"Isaiah," I said with a smile.

"Hey, Y/N. Look at you, all grown up with a real job," my oldest brother said, pulling me into a tight hug.

"It's not really a real job though. I barely do anything," I said, grunting as he squeezed me harder.

"It is a real job. You're getting a real salary, aren't you? And that's really the most important part," he said with a grin.

"Not really. The most important part would be getting to teach, which I really haven't gotten to do," I said.

"So you lucked out then. You get paid to not do your job. That's everyone's dream, Y/N."

"Not mine. I want to teach."

"Then you should have gone for something more useful, not Latin. Come on, it's cold out here," he said. I frowned. "Where can we get something to drink?"

"There's a tea shop at the other end of town-"

"No, a real drink. Surely there's a bar around here somewhere."

"It's eleven in the morning," I said.

"Won't they be open?"

"They will," I said slowly. "But are you sure it's not too early to start drinking?"

"Come on, Y/N, lighten up. It's my day off and I'm finally getting to see my baby sister. Don't you think this calls for celebration?"

"I guess," I said and shrugged. "There's a pub somewhere around here, but I've never gone in so I have no idea how it'll be."

I led him to the Three Broomsticks, feeling nervous when I saw a large group of Hogwarts students inside. I hoped they wouldn't notice my brother- who ordered himself a firewhisky as soon as he arrived- drinking at such an early time.

"Want one?" he asked.

"No, thank you," I said. "I'd rather have water."

"Do you not have the money?" he asked. "I can get you a drink, Y/N."

"No, it's not that. It's just that I don't really drink," I said.

"Suit yourself," he said and shrugged, taking a large swig from his glass. "Good stuff," he commented.

"So, how is dad?" I asked.

"He's fine. He's grumpy and rude, but what else is new?"

"And how's Thomas?"

"Just the same, following right in dad's footsteps," Isaiah said with a deep frown. "I worry about him sometimes. He's gotten a job, finally, but I'm not sure how long he'll be able to hold it. You know how he's been since mom was killed."

"I thought he'd be better by now. The rest of us are, and he was the one who was the least close with her," I said.

"I think he regrets that a lot," Isaiah said. "Besides, he hangs around with dad all the time and I'm sure dad's attitude about the whole ordeal has rubbed off on him."

"It's sad," I said and frowned.

"It is, which is why we shouldn't be talking about it. I want to know how your new job is."

"Oh. Um, it's okay. I like the kids a lot and I enjoy doing what I can but, as I've already said, I don't get to teach or anything unless Professor Lupin lets me."