VI • Respectus

VI • Respectus • Respect

The rest of the weekend was over in no time. Monday was the busiest day in Professor Lupin's schedule, with four classes back-to-back and only one planning period before his fifth class for the day. If Professor Lupin was bothered by this or stressed about the schedule, he was good at hiding it. He handled the day well and seemed to charm every class he had with his natural charisma.

As we had decided, he didn't tell the students about the Boggart that he planned to bring into class. Additionally, he hadn't even decided which class was to tackle the thing. I assumed that he would choose the sixth or seventh years, but I was surprised when he approached me after fifth period with the third years in mind.

"They have so much potential," he muttered to me as the students left the classroom and the next group began to file in. "Although they're younger, I believe the lesson would be most effective with them."

I agreed with him, not because I thought it was true, but because I trusted his judgment. After all, I was just his assistant, no matter how involved he tried to make me feel.

The final class of the day was the seventh-years, who had only been in Professor Lupin's class once so far.

"Miss Y/L/N, could you find the seventh-years' writing assignments and hand them back while I prepare?"

I found the papers on his desk and began passing them out. A small group of students near the back of the room was talking among themselves in low voices, chuckling to each other.

"Marcus," I said, approaching the group and handing him his paper, "well done." I handed the rest of the students their papers before returning to the front of the room. Behind me, I continued to hear the group of boys laughing.

"What's funny, gentlemen?" Lupin asked, crossing his arms and leaning against his desk.

"Nothing's funny, Professor Lupin," one said with a grin.

"Then why are we laughing?"

Lupin pushed himself off of his desk and approached the group of boys, who began to stir in their seats, shoving something away. Lupin spoke to them quietly, and I watched as the boys slowly handed over a piece of paper. He read it over before fixing the students with a sharp look.

"You're all seventh-years," Lupin said as he made his way to the front of the class, setting the paper on his desk. "Maturity is expected, and so is respect. Anything less will not be tolerated. I don't want to see notes being passed in this classroom."

The class was silent after Lupin's reproach. He didn't seem bothered, continuing the class, which was a lesson on Manticores.

After the class was done, Lupin dropped into his chair with a sigh.

"Is it too early to say that I don't enjoy the seventh-years?" he asked, looking up at me.

"I think it might be," I said. "They're at an awkward stage where they simultaneously want to be treated like adults and hate adults. You have to cut them some slack."

"It's hard to when they..." he trailed off with a sigh, rubbing his hand over his face.

"I thought they were okay," I said and shrugged. "They seemed to be paying attention."

"To the wrong things," he said and grabbed the piece of paper off of his desk, handing it to me. I took it with a questioning glance, unfolding the note and reading through it. I felt my face heat up as I read it. The students had been rating my appearance. "It's disrespectful," Lupin said.

I gave him the paper and sat down in the chair across from him, biting my lip.

"I won't have it happen in here," he said. "I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."