XXIII • Poetica

XXIII • Poetica • Poetry

Classes resumed a few days later, and I was conflicted. While I loved to see the halls full of students again, I knew that that meant that my time with Remus would be limited.

I continued doing the same things that I had been doing since the beginning of the year; grading, organizing, planning lessons, and leading discussions, and I loved it as much as ever. In between classes, Remus and I often found ourselves kissing, but there was never enough time to do anything more. We were busier than ever, trying to finalize midterms and make sure that the students were adequately prepared while also reducing their stress and trying to keep lessons interesting and practical.

"Do you want to come back to my room?" Remus asked after dinner a few days after the students had returned from break. "I've been missing you lately."

"We spend all day together," I said and raised my eyebrows, focusing on the stairs in front of me.

"You know what I mean," he said.

"I don't know, Professor. I have to ask myself, how much time is too much time to spend with someone?"

"Are you telling me you don't want to come with me, then?" he asked and tilted his head challengingly.

"No," I said. "I'm just kidding."

Remus grinned and led me into his classroom, shutting the door behind us. He leaned down to connect our lips, pushing me back until the backs of my thighs met his desk. He stooped down to hook his hands behind my knees. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders as he lifted me onto his desk, burying his face in my neck. I sighed as he kissed my neck, his teeth grazing the skin over my artery. His hands brushed over my thighs, pushing my skirt up. I whimpered and tangled my fingers in his hair, pulling his face to mine and kissing him.

Against my lips, he groaned, pulling me to the edge of the desk so that his body was pressed flush against mine. I pushed his robes from his shoulders, hearing them fall to the ground, and then I slipped my hands up the front of his shirt, hearing him mumble an obscenity against my lips.

As his hand pushed my skirt up far enough to reveal my panties, he pulled away suddenly.

"Fuck, what time is it?" he asked.

"Almost eight," I responded, panting, my eyebrows drawn in confusion.

"Damn it, I'm sorry," he said and pressed a kiss on the corner of my mouth. "I have to go."

"What? Where?" I asked, pushing my skirt down to cover my thighs. I watched as he leaned to grab his robes, pulling them back over his shoulders.

"I promised to meet Harry," he said and rushed around his classroom, grabbing a large briefcase. "I'm so sorry, I'll make this up to you."

"No, it's okay," I said.

"I'll be back soon, probably," he said. "You can stay in here if you want."

"Oh, uh, I'll probably go back to my room and go to bed if you're going to be gone," I said and rubbed my hand over the back of my neck, "but I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes," he said and pressed another kiss against my lips. "Tomorrow. Sorry again."

I watched as he rushed out of the classroom, still sitting on his desk. I was a little disappointed. I hadn't expected him to leave. With a sigh, I slid off of his desk and readjusted my skirt. As I gathered my things from his room, I frowned. I knew he probably didn't intend to leave so suddenly, but I was hurt by how quickly he had left.

With my bag in hand, I left his classroom, extinguishing the lights as I went. My footsteps echoed through the Serpentine Corridor as I went, amplifying my dismay. How had he left so easily?