LII • Epilogus

LII • Epilogus • Epilogue

I could tell that the students were itching to leave. Their eyes were fixed on the clock, knees bouncing, excitement rolling off of them in waves. There was a part of me that reveled in their anticipation, but a stronger part of me that was feeling exactly the same.

"Alright," I acquiesced and the students perked up. "Don't look so happy. You can go- Hey, hey! I'm not done! I want you to each have a fantastic summer and make sure you have some fun! Okay, okay, just go."

I watched as the students sprung from their seats, rushing toward the door, their reflection surveys forgotten on their desks. I almost rolled my eyes as I began collecting the papers from the desks.

"Miss Y/L/N?"

"Oh, Harry, hi," I said and smiled at the boy, pausing and leaning against a desk.

"Hi," he said and smiled, lingering awkwardly beside Remus's empty desk.

"What's up?" I asked, continuing to collect the papers.

"How's Professor Lupin?"

"Oh, uh... Harry, I'm sorry about you seeing-"

"No, it's fine. I've seen far worse. And I can't say I was surprised. People always thought... Nevermind. Um, so?"

"He's doing well," I said, scratching the back of my neck, which was warm with embarrassment. "He misses it here, of course."

"Oh, of course..."

"Have a wonderful summer, Harry," I said warmly. Something darkened in his features, and I wondered if I said the wrong thing.

"I never got to ask," he said, stopping me in my tracks again. "About that night."

I swallowed and turned to face him.

"I suppose it makes sense why you were there now, with Lupin. But... you didn't let the dementors have Sirius."

"I think..." I paused to collect my thoughts. What was appropriate to share? "Harry, I'm talking to you as a friend now, not a teacher, okay?"

"Okay..."

"I don't know what happened that night, after we got everyone back to the castle. I know that Sirius disappeared. And I don't want to know how it happened," I clarified. "But... I saw how protective Sirius was of you, and maybe it was foolish to let him leave the lake. But he didn't seem the man I was told of. So... if the dementors didn't get him, and if someone made sure of that... Well, I think that's okay."

Harry's features relaxed as he let out a little sigh.

"I hope everything goes well for you, Harry. Perhaps we'll see each other again," I said and smiled at the boy.

"Oh. So, you're not coming back next year either?"

I shook my head.

"Hm. I think you would have been good. Have a nice summer, Miss Y/L/N."

"You too, Harry," I said and watched as he turned and left the classroom. I stared after him for a moment before I finished collecting the surveys.

I tucked the surveys into my bag and scanned the classroom one last time before I returned to my room. All of my things were already packed.

I bit down on my lip, and then released it, smoothing my fingers over my lip. I let out a puff of air and grabbed my suitcase. As I dragged it through the hallways, the sound of my hurried footsteps echoed through the corridors. I could hear students milling about, chattering excitedly about going home.