XXI • Probare

XXI • Probare • Demonstrate

"Try them on. I had to guess what your measurements were, so I might have to fix them," I said and held the robes out to Lupin, who took them hesitantly.

"You spent far too much on me," he said and pulled the robes around his shoulders.

"You have no idea how much I spent," I said. "I had a discount, remember?"

"Hm," he grunted and adjusted the robes. "Do they look okay?"

"They look good," I said. "How do they feel?"

"New."

"Is that good?"

"Yeah," he said and stretched his arms over his head.

"Any alterations need to be done?"

"They're pretty perfect," he said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I said and circled around him, tugging at the robes. "Are you sure the sleeves aren't a little short?"

"They're fine," he said.

"I can fix them really quickly," I said.

"Maybe they are a little short," he admitted and held his arms out. The sleeves fell far above his wrists.

"I can fix them," I said and pushed the robes off of his shoulders, careful not to bump his collarbone, which was still bandaged.

"Can you?"

"Yeah," I said and brought them over to my desk. "My mom taught me how to when I was little. She used to have to fix up my dad's clothes all the time." I pulled out my wand and muttered the incantation my mother had taught me, one time on each sleeve, and then I checked that they were even. Once I was satisfied, I gave them back to Lupin.

"Now they're really perfect," he said as he pulled them on.

"Good."

"Do you want to do something with me? Go for a walk or something?" he asked.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"You've got a bit of a limp going on," I said.

"It's nothing."

"And you were out of breath earlier after the walk from the hospital wing," I added.

"You noticed that?" he asked with an embarrassed grin.

"Maybe you should rest a little bit, give yourself some time to recover," I suggested. "I've been talking to Professor Baker and he said that he has some televisions in the muggle studies classroom. He's home for break but he said that I can use them whenever his classroom is open."

"Is that so?"

"He has some muggle movies," I continued, "and I know how to use everything because Isaiah used to be obsessed with muggle culture."

"Are you suggesting we watch a movie, then?"

"Yes," I said.

"Sure," he said and nodded. "I'd like that. I haven't watched television in a long time. My mother used to have one at our house. She was a muggle."

"What was she like?" I asked as we left his classroom, beginning the walk to the Muggle Studies classroom.

"Very kind and loving," he said. "And she had a wonderful sense of humor."

"She sounds like a great mother," I said and smiled.

"She was," he said fondly. "She made a lot of sacrifices for me."