Chapter 43: Happy Birthday, Ian

Explicit scenes ahead.
If you need to skip it. Stop reading at the star ⭐️.

Ian and I agreed on a 8:00pm meet up at my house to discuss anything he knew the next day.

He was busy most the day with the case, which was fine because it gave me plenty of time to ready the house. It was his birthday and he'd done so much for me already, it was time to celebrate this ordeal being over.

I placed streamers and balloons up around the doorways and walls. I got ingredients for a cake from the store and went to work on it a little before he arrived so it would be ready and ordered a pizza as well.

I was staring down at my decorating skills when his knock came on the door.

I felt almost giddy and scampered across the room to get to the door and threw it open.

"Happy birthday," I exclaimed before he could say a word. A look of surprise befell his face as he notice the streamers and balloons around the doorway.

"You did not," he started, but I cut him off.

"I did! It's your birthday, let's celebrate it," I replied, letting him in and shutting the door behind him.

"Violet, you really didn't need to do all of this," he said taking in the insane amount of balloons and streamers around the room.

"I know, but I wanted to," I replied and led him into the kitchen. "In ordered pizza, hope that's okay?"

"And a cake," he questioned as he stared down at it on the island.

"I made it," I replied grabbing two wine glasses and the wine I had bought.

"Vi, this is all too much," he exclaimed and sat down at the island.

"It's not," I replied pouring him a glass and then my own before fixing each of us a plate and sitting down beside him.

"So," I began and took a bite of pizza to figure out how to ask, but instead I nearly blurted it out without fully chewing my bite. "What can you tell me?"

He smiled and hid a small laugh. "Trying to sweeten me up with all of this to know more I see?"

I shook my head. "No, no, no, I would've done all of this regardless, but it's been killing me all day not knowing. I've been checking the news and online, but nothing has been said. Nothing has been released. I would've thought Heather's father would've been all over this, getting it out there saying his daughter and the city were safe now."

Ian sighed. "Well, he sure has tried. That man is a persistent moron. Doesn't want all the facts just what he actually wants to know. No care for how things operate. Just ludicrous demands."

"Trust me, he's not my favorite person either. I felt he always looked down on me even though Heather and I have been friends for years," I replied taking another bite.

"Have you heard from her," he asked taking a napkin to wipe his face.

"Not too much, I had a message from her yesterday basically saying she was relieved we were safe now and earlier today she mentioned wanting to get together soon to meet for dinner or lunch sometime," I replied.

"Well, I have to know that what I'll tell you won't go to her, because then it will definitely be leaked to her father. I shouldn't even be telling you anything quite yet, but you deserve to know. Can I trust you Violet," he asked me placing his hand on top of mine.

"Of course, I won't said a word," I replied and shook his hand for good comedic measure.

He shook his head in amusement at me, but paused, looking at the ground for a moment before speaking.