Chapter 11: The Next Three Days

This chapter will be a pretty long one! 😬

Day 1

The next day was back to as it had been the day I had arrived here. Gruff hard responses, eye rolls, and avoidance. We are our meals together, but in almost near silence. We tip toed around one another, trying to avoid the presence of one another and the sad thing was I knew it was my fault. I knew that going out was foolish and that it was even more foolish to ask to, but I felt trapped in my thoughts, in my guilt and in this house, but I had come to realize that I was wrong. There was nothing I could do. Heather had taken off without me and I had no clue the direction she had went and although I should be angry she did that to me I wasn't. She was still my best friend and one wrong action didn't just undo it all.

We had been friends since Kindergarten. She was the first one to come up to me at recess on the swings. I was sitting in them awkwardly still. I hadn't mastered learning how to pump my legs on my own to sail through the air. My dad had always given me those first few pushes when Heather came out of no where up to me. I was shy and nervous and she was bubbly and ambitious. She came up behind me and began to push me.

"I'm Heather," she had said to me.

"Violet," I meekly responded.

"Nice to meet you Violet. I think you and I are going to be best friends," she had said and it became true. We became inseparable. Our characteristics though had still remained the same as that fateful day though, making us quite the odd pairing, but best friends nevertheless.

And as much as I wanted to share this with Ian, how much my best friend meant to me and how increasingly worried I became for her well-being it only seemed to irritate him when I did, so I decided as I went to sleep tonight that tomorrow I would try to make it right, try to set things back to the day prior, when he seemed light and carefree.

Day 2

Not having an alarm clock is hard when you are trying to wake up early to surprise someone. It left me an anxious mess all night, awake in my bed like a kid the night before Christmas Eve waiting for daybreak to come.

I silently left what had become my room and stepped into the kitchen.

I peered into the living room, but Ian was no where in sight, causing my face to scrunch up in confusion.

I walked to the window only to see him out there again shoveling the newly fallen snow away. Even better, I thought with a smile and snuck back into the kitchen.

I began to take my breakfast items from their designated homes and lay them out on the counter. I prayed that I didn't mess this up. I want to surprise him, but I didn't want to burn the cabin down.

I decided on something simple scrambled eggs, bacon, and cinnamon toast, some of my childhood favorites.

The toast was simple enough, but the bacon I burnt and the eggs were a tad salty, but I set the table anyways and with perfect timing he came in.

He was so busy shaking off the snow he didn't notice me at first, but once he did he stared at me from under furrowed brows and asked, "What's this?"

"I made you breakfast," I announced spreading my arms wide. "Surprise!"

I saw the faintest movement in the corner of his mouth, a slight attempt at a smile.