{98}

March 7 2016
Astoria, Queens NY
01:56
Sarah's POV

Pa's voice shakes through the walls of our apartment, calling out in a horrified tone that even manages to make me fear whatever he's afraid of. I dip from my bed blankets and run to my father's room to see that his body is shuttering and shivering as if he's cold.

I make my way to his bed side and grab his shoulders to shake him awake. I hear his heart almost vibrating in his chest while the creaks of his nerves and skin unsettles me in an eerie way I haven't imagined in decades.

After a few minutes he still doesn't wake, but his body slightly relaxes under my hands that sit just beneath his shoulders. The pressure of them keeps him from jittering around too much, just until he shoots up in his spot to see me sitting next to him.

"Oh, thank God." he pants when he catches the sight of me

"What was going on?"

I watch Pa's chest pant out large inhale-less breaths. He gives me pleading eyes, ones that I can't read until he holds his arms out to me.

When I lean into them, he wraps me in his loving embrace that makes me feel as if i'm invincible and that nothing can't hurt me ever again. He pulls me closer as I scoot forward so that I don't fall from his bedside, hoping his movements won't send me hurtling towards the floor.

He scoots towards the middle of his bed for a second, but soon regrets it when he's greeted by the cold feeling of unused bedsheets on that part.

"Hang on." I push him from me

He tentatively lets go (though it took an extra push), so I can actually get up from his bed for him to loosen his frightened hold. I walk around to the other side and sit on the cold part of his bed, inviting it into the several layers of clothes on me.

"Thank you, Sweetie." he expresses his gratitude

I turn to where my butt is near his knee and invite him into a hug that he openly welcomes with his own, our mix of layers of pajamas, enhanced body heat and bed sheets as well as blanket make a mix of ultimate warmth (minus the second warmest person in this building).

"I was in the ice again, but instead of falling unconscious after a few days or weeks..or months, I was awake for every single day, every month and year I was in there. I wasn't able to escape in any way I tried, my shield was floating away from me and an iceberg tagged me to the side of the jet-it was so cold." he almost shivers at the end

"Do you want more blankets?"

"No, I need a distraction."

"I would say ice cream because that's Nat's comfort food and she keeps some here, but this is the worst situation to offer that. Do you want tea? Or hot chocolate? I could just give you a warm cup of water to hold in your hands." I propose

"I have the best kids in the entire world." he mumbles over my shoulder

"I have the best parents in the whole world." I smile to myself as I pull him to a squeeze hug

"Tea would be nice."

"Yeah?" I start to pull away

"Yeah." he nods as he wipes a tear

I give him a reassuring smile before making my way to the kitchen and putting the kettle on, grabbing a mug and a tea bag for him while waiting for the kettle to heat. My hands search through our tea supply but all we have is caffeinated ones and-I forgot about my secret stash.

My feet bring me to a floorboard over by the couch that I pull up and reach in for the lavender lemon tea bags along with other more restful blends. Once I have what I need in hand, I walk it to the kitchen and put the tea bag in the mug.