Chapter 15: Melancholy Girls

Kikyou was humming while preparing her and her brother's lunch that morning. She volunteered to cook for the day, letting her mother rest and watch her sing to herself with a happy melody. Ishimori Kikumaru joined them in the dining room, all dressed for school and sat across his mother who was smiling at his twin sister in glee. "What's up with Kikyou?" he asked, shoving a piece of bread in his mouth, leaving crumbs all over his face.

"I don't know. She woke up like that." their mother shrugged. "Let her be. It's rare to see her having such a mirthful atmosphere."

Kikumaru stared at his sister before purple lines appeared beside him. "It's weird to look at," was his comment.

"Oh by the way Kikyou, don't forget about babysitting Ryoko's daughter okay? They really need someone today," their mother reminded the girl who wasn't listening due to the overwhelming joy she had as she prepared meals. "Did she hear me...?" 

Kikumaru chuckled, "Don't worry mom, I'll remind her later."

...

"We'll set off!" Kikumaru called, exiting the door of their house together with Kikyou. Their mother waved her hand from the front door, watching her twins walk to their separate schools. The boy didn't want to join his sister in her current school after finding out a certain someone was attending Karasuno as well. "How was the picnic?" he asked Kikyou, glancing at her. He noticed she seemed a bit distracted for the whole weekend right after she got home from the school activity.

"Kikyou," she flinched after her brother called her name for the last 2 minutes. "W-What is it, Kikumaru-kun?" she asked, putting her two hands on her chest.

"You're dazing off again," he commented. "I said how the school picnic was."

"O-Oh, the pi-picnic..." she stuttered, blushing when she remembered Yamaguchi putting her head on his chest. "I-It w-was...fu-fun..."

"Fun? So you made friends this year?"

"E-Eh?! What's that supposed to mean?! I have friends you know!"

"Really? What're their names?"

"Y-You don't believe me?! T-They're Narahashi-kun, Tsukishima-kun and Y-Yamaguchi-kun!" she listed their names, her voice fading when she mentioned Tadashi. Good thing he didn't notice this and instead, raised an eyebrow and asked: "Any girl friends?" she gulped, her eyes widened that soon looked down at the ground.

"Mi-Minami-chan, I guess..." Kikyou muttered, silencing both she and her brother.

"Minami huh..." Kikumaru hummed before changing the subject. "Oh yeah! Don't forget to pass by Ryoko-san's house later. They need you to babysit their daughter," he reminded her. 

"G-Got it," she nodded, wondering why the bliss of the atmosphere suddenly vanished from her brother.

...

Shimazaki shut her locker after putting her outdoor shoes in it. She headed to the school entrance when she heard someone shouting, causing her to stop and looked at the direction where it was coming from. She saw a girl of their batch yelling at a particular long haired girl whom she knew from middle school. Immediately she came to help the poor girl being bullied, telling the girls surrounding to get lost.

"You okay?" she helped the poor girl up who accidentally bumped onto one of their schoolmates.

"Mi-Minami-chan... Th-Thank... you..." the girl hiccupped, wiping tears from her eyes.

"Geez, look at where you're going next time okay? No one's going to look after you here you know," Minami told her as she stood straight on her feet.

"I-I'm sorry..." Ishinomori apologized for being a burden.

"It's okay. Just next time be cautious around you and learn to stand up for yourself," said Shimazaki. Those words reminded Kikyou of her brother since those were the same words said to her by Kikumaru.

"Just like what Kikumaru-kun said..." she suddenly blurted out while staring at her brother's ex. It made Shimazaki uncomfortable with the mention of that name and quickly excused herself out of Ishinomori's sight, running to her classroom. "Mi-Minami-chan!" she reached out her hand to chase after her schoolmate, but of course, she's after a soccer varsity that has a lot of experience in running.

'I made her mad again...'

Both girls were upset the whole morning session of classes. Ishinomori was even more quiet than usual while Shimazaki didn't speak to anyone in her class. Narahashi, the class president grew concern for his classmate, after acknowledging the mood of the girl. "Psst, Yamaguchi," he came to the freckled boy's side, disturbing Tadashi as he scribbled down notes in his pad.

"Narahashi, what is it?" Yamaguchi queried the jumpy president who was tugging on his sleeve nonstop. Kado rotated his neck to Kikyou's direction forcibly, making him see her current troubled expression. "M-Mori-san..." he uttered.

"She looks like she needs someone to talk to..."

Everyone in the soccer club was eyeing on Shimazaki during the start of their training. They were wondering what was wrong since she wasn't in high spirits when she greeted each one of them. The Minami they knew always wore a smile whenever she was to play her favorite sport – a trait she shared with her courter, who was just passing by the soccer field as he observed Shimazaki's team start their training.

'Ah, there's Minami-chan!' a smile instantly appeared on his face as soon as he caught sight of Minami. Just like the people surrounding her, Hinata also noticed how downcast she is today. 'I wonder what's wrong...?' he wasn't able to conjecture something because of Kageyama yelling at him to head to practice already. (Yes, they were walking towards the gym together) "Dammit, KAGEYAMA!" he hollered and another quarreling started.

"Mori-san!" Yamaguchi ran after Ishinomori just as she was to head home after class. She stopped on her tracks and turn around to give a questioning look to the lad. Her face wasn't any much better from earlier. The boy gulps nervously, his hand rubbing the back of his head and his eyes looking at the ground. "Ah, well... I don't-I don't know how to say this but---Wo-Would y-you wa-want t-to walk home w-with m-me?!" and there he had gather enough courage to ask the girl he likes that.

Kikyou blinked at the flustered boy. "But Yamaguchi-kun, don't you have practice right after this?" she wonders.

 "R-R-R-Right!" Tadashi stuttered. "Well-right after that I mean! Well-after your club period as well maybe-"

"I haven't joined any clubs yet though..."

"I-I see!! Well---so you... you're going to go home now..." Yamaguchi wasn't sure what to say next. He was so embarrassed. The first time he asked her to walk home was a complete failure. Ishinomori stared at him curiously before her eyes trailed back at the ground.

"Sorry, even if you didn't have practice today, I wouldn't be able to join you..." she muttered, avoiding eye contact from him.

"I-I see..." Yamaguchi says in a low voice, hanging his head low. Ishinomori said no more and just bowed to her classmate's direction before leaving him there, staring at her worriedly. 'M-Mori-san...'

A/N: hence, the very first short filler chapter of the book! yes, i got rid of my writer's block and no, i cannot update soon for i have many stories to update now. yay for suffering! fuck my brain.