Chapter 9: Family ties

It was a weekend. Kageyema planned on staying in bed all day because of the continuous practice matches he and his team have been participating in. It tired out his body, and he wanted to fully recover his energy for Monday practice but for some reason, he found himself shopping for groceries with his mother, instead of cuddling with his pillow at home.

What's worse is, his mother had to bring his sister, Takane, along; and she annoyed him all the time. "Nii-chan, can you get me one of those strawberry milk?"

"Go get it yourself."

"Why? It's right beside you."

"And I think your hand is functioning properly."

"This is why you don't have a girlfriend. You're far from a gentleman."

And that hit a nerve again. Kageyama gritted his teeth, sucking his breath to avoid arguing with his sister in a public place. He followed his mother who was over at the dairy section, struggling on which to choose, milk with low fat or milk that's good for your bones? She couldn't decide.

"Oka-san, I think you should-" Tobio paused from talking upon catching sight of the girl he admired who was standing right beside his mother, also looking troubled on what to choose at the dairy section. Because of that, his face turned red slowly, steam coming out of it that got his mother's attention.

"What's the matter, dear?" asked Mrs. Kageyama who held her son's forehead to check if he has a fever. "Your face is hot, are you okay?"

"H-Hai! I'm okay!" the flustered boy stepped back, embarrassed. 'I forgot! She buys groceries here as well!' by now, Kageyama got his schoolmate's attention that glanced at him and seemed surprised to see him at the same supermarket.

"Oi Kage, I didn't know you also go here." greeted the girl walking towards her classmate, with her five year old younger brother named, Heikichi holding her hand. "Oh by the way, this is Heikichi, my younger brother." she introduced the two boys to each other.

"Kage-chan!" the grade schooler chirped, smiling up at Kageyama who blushed at how cute the mini Sugimoto is. The boy looked like his sister; brown hair, dark chocolate eyes, and the signature crooked teeth they both have.

"H-Hello there, Heikichi-kun. I'm Kageyama Tobio. It's nice to meet you." he introduced himself with a slight bow, holding out his hand for a handshake.

"Oh Tobio, is this your friend?" his mother interfered, staring at the girl with sparkles around her atmosphere. "It's so nice that Tobio made a friend. Hello there, I'm Kageyama Tamika, Tobio's mother." Tamika introduced herself to her son's crush who bowed politely at her.

"I'm Sugimoto Hisano. It's nice to meet you." Hisano greeted the woman whose attention quickly averted to a sale just a few feet from their spot.

"Sorry kids, I think I might have to leave you for a while!" she quickly dashed off to check on the beauty products that were promoted nearby. Kageyama sweat dropped at his mother's obsession on staying young and wrinkle-less.

"Sorry about her." he apologized.

"It's okay. She reminds me of my step-mom." Sugimoto mentioned, thinking about the demon she called who is her father's girlfriend. "Anyway, why don't you come with us for a while, Kage? We're on our way to buy some snacks." she invited making her secret admirer blush instantly.

"S-Sure! I-I was about to go there too!" he nodded and started to walk with them as he remembered something about her - "Sugi-san, isn't your sister with you?" he asked, recalling Kiyoko telling him about being friends with her sister.

"Oh Hikari? She's actually not living with us right now." Hisano replied, catching the boy's curiosity. "I mean, she's not really my sister if you're asking. She's my step-sister."